Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Win XP SAM files

Cool Win XP SAM files

Hey guys, ive been using Windows XP for a long time now, but i don't currently have my comp i should be getting it back soon. But i try to learn everything about Xp that i can. So i was just kinda wondering its been awhile and ive tried looking for the Win XP User login passwords since im the only one that uses my comp, just as kinda of a personal satisfaction of understanding the OS. But like what passwords are kept in the SAM, what exactl is the SAM file, where is it usually located and all that. any information or a run down about SAM files and such would be very helpful thanks guys.

Windows XP saves user passwords as an encrypted numerical 'hash' - taking a password of say 'password' and turning it into something like "HT5E-23AE-8F98-NAQ9-83D4-9R89-MU4K." This hash value is then stored in the SAM (Security Accounts Manager) file, found in the C:\windows\system32\config directory.

Thumbs up

I find Google to be a wealth of information and suggest searching there first, before posting.

To crack the SAM file u will need "L0phtCrack_v4[1].0" programme.
    The website address is "www.atstake.com"
    There are only two things which are finite, one is the universe and the second is the human stupidity.

yeah i kinda checked goolgle for SAM's, but i wasnt exactly sure of waht i was looking for and any computer i pretty much have access to like at home, are like older so google is like such a hasle and takes about 30 mins LOL. but i just thought i would get more information and better understanding from posts. I did find the SAM file for this W2k machine im on. What is the file extension usaully to browse SAM's, just like basic notepad?

The SAM file has no extension and u cannot view it with the notepad coz its highly encrypted.
    To view the file u have to use the program "L0phtCrack_v4[1].0".
    With this program u decrypt the file so u can view the passwords which are stored in the file.
    And the program takes hell of a time to decrypt it, around two hours.
    There are only two things which are finite, one is the universe and the second is the human stupidity.

To crack the SAM file u will need "L0phtCrack_v4[1].0" programme.
    The website address is "www.atstake.com"
    To view the file u have to use the program "L0phtCrack_v4[1].0".
    you better be careful when promoting a progam that strongly. it begins to sound like spam. im sure there are other programs that can crack it.

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

what passwords are stored in the SAM, like only local user accounts or other passwords, i mean most applications or programs would have the passwords stored somewhere else. is that an accurate statement?

slick8790 I have no intensions to do a SPAM over here. For sure there are many other programs for SAM files but I have found only this software which works perfectly so thats why i was just giving my views.

SAM file contains Administrator password as well as local machine passwords or passwords for the different USERs on the same machine.