Thread: VCD Encoding & Burning

VCD Encoding & Burning

Well i make some VCDs sometimes and my question is...why does it do the encoding...and why does it take freaking 4 hours...Is there some sofware i can use which burns them faster or which just skips the ncoding part?
    peace

It encodes some files because VCD has to have a specfic format (ie- file type, bitrate, etc.). So, if for example, you're trying to burn an .avi file it will have to be converted to mpeg.

The amount of time depends on several factors. The faster your cpu the faster you're going to encode. Im lazy so I just let Nero encode my videos, although i've found TmpgENC to be a bit faster. No matter what, though, it's going to take awhile to encode the files so be patient.

So, if for example, you're trying to burn an .avi file it will have to be converted to mpeg
    Well what if i change the extention from .avi to .mpeg? would that help?

I wish that would work...unfortunately not. It re-encodes frame by frame and all of the audio also to make it VCD compliant. These are the optimal specs: 352x240 (NTSC) or 352X288(PAL), CBR 1150, audio 44.1Khz, 224Kbits.
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

I will give you a website and kinda say RTFM. I learned an incredible amount from this website. www.dvdrhelp.com if you scroll down the left side you will see they will get into what exactly vcd is and then will show you how to encode from different formats, the website will even give you the tools to use to convert and encode. My favorite is tmgnec. Enjoy and let us know if you have any further questions

Edit: btw changing extensions wont help you out because of different format sizes and the different extensions are acutally a good refrence of how good/bad of a quality each movie is. mpeg higher, avi lower, asf nuff said....
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here