Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Are Adware/Spyware and Spam Free Speech

Aeallison, I completely sympathise and I'm afraid to say you'll probably never win with users. It's probably been touched on elsewhere in the forum, so I'll only mention it briefly. The mydoom "disaster" as reported by the press. Well I'm sorry but from what I understand you can only get infected from p2p and opening email attachments....it leaves me speechless.

I'd be happy to let users to wallow...but for the fact that their pc's are probably being used as proxies. Talk about lose/lose.

Aeallison, I completely sympathise and I'm afraid to say you'll probably never win with users. It's probably been touched on elsewhere in the forum, so I'll only mention it briefly. The mydoom "disaster" as reported by the press. Well I'm sorry but from what I understand you can only get infected from p2p and opening email attachments....it leaves me speechless.

I'd be happy to let users to wallow...but for the fact that their pc's are probably being used as proxies. Talk about lose/lose.
    I also publish a monthly newsletter to further try to educate my users. I send it to my users in .pdf format as an attachment in an email, in this newsletter I cover, in detail, tools such as AVG antivirus, Ad-Aware, Mailwasher, etc... All free stuff so they won't complain about hidden costs or whatever they might fabricate in their minds. I provide links to these tools in the articles I write to explain what they are and how to install and use them. On the last page of each issue I provide a list of every tool, along with their links that they can click and visit. I have been under the assumption that this might lower my complaints of slow surfing, unstable connections, etc...

Boy! Was I wrong!!! After sending these out each month now since November 03, I have been asking them, as they come in to pay their bills, or even during casual meetings in the local supermarket, what they think about them and if any of the information I included was of any help. I have been told by most of them that they don't have Acrobat Reader, and that it takes too long to download it, so they have never even seen any of them!!!

What is the old saying? You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. This holds true to a very large percentage of our world population. I think the next newsletter will be edited in Outlook so they will have a better chance of actually seeing it. I Go through great pains and a lot of time building the letter in MS Publisher, then then running it through Acrobat Distiller, then editing it again to make the links clickable for their convienence. Has anyone ever done this? It is a real PAIN IN THE A**!! I do this so it will be more appealing to the eye in hopes that they don't get bored by the content too fast. I think most of my customers think reading is work, and education stops when the leave school.

Wow! I just re-read this post and I sound like I am ranting... ok I'll stop now... </rant>
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?