Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deleted virus still trying to start

I don't think it's been asked, but if you have Win XP, even if you delete the virus, it'll be saved in Sys Restore, one of the joys of XP. Turn off System Restore and run your AV again and that should get rid of it once and for all.

I learned that from someone else when I had a virus on this computer, removed it, and it kept returning. I was told to do the above and it worked.

And now to bring the thread down to my intellectual level

1. Update your AV
    2. Reboot in safe mode
    3. Run AV and it should do the job?

It seems to be loading something at boot up, so you can't delete it? neither can NAV.

jenjen..........that guy never came back with the details of his computer that opens setup with the Tab key........if he does I will let you know.........it is intriguing me

Cheers

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    nihil> you forgot the.... turn of system restore part

if you don't turn off system restore, the AV will find the virus, delete it, reboot your system, XP will say "oo look xxx system file was changed" and put it back to the old version (with the virus call in it).
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

LOL.. yes souleman.. almost everyone BUT Chuck56 forgot to mention that.. "our collective bad"
    oh well, you sometimes get distracted by the issue to remember the proper steps.. I see that cross hasn't been back, so either he's fixed it or will see the rest of the steps when he returns.

nihil.. tab key.. tab key.. my memory is almost failing me.. oh yeah that guy that claimed he entered his bios screen by using the tab key. And both of us were wondering "what the, who the, why the? which bios type could that one be ?" (forgive my poetic nature, I truly suck at poetry)

Greenies to the man who spotted that

I did promise to bring the thread down to my level though?...so I did not lie?

Cheers