Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mc afee

mc afee

i can't delete mcafee from my computer. it says to uninstall services first and when i do that it brings up a web page that cannot be displayed. is there anything i can do to change this?

What version of Mcafee & what OS are we dealing with here?

Cheers:
    DjM

Mcafee is windows only. Try these first few steps for a proper uninstall.

1. Boot into windows safe mode by pressing f8 as your computer boots and choosing the safe mode option

2. Now attempt to uninstall it.

3. If it fails, then make sure it is completely turned off by right clicking the mcafee shield icon near your clock(sys tray) and shutting it off.

4. Reattempt uninstallation.

See how well that goes for you

Use F8 when booting.

1 Boot in failsafe mode
    2 rename McAfee(in program folder) folder to somting else
    3 Boot in normal mode
    4 Rename McAfee(in program folder) folder back
    5 Use standart unistaller to uninstall it

It work's for when i got problem with it i hope that it will help you.
    // too far away outside of limit

Hello.....Ahhh...............version & operating system please.

Cheers:
    DjM

DjM, I have mentioned this already. The only OS possible is windows, and which version of windows does not matter. Version of McAfee doesn't matter either as this is a windows specific problem (involving services). Let's wait and see if the above solutions help him.

Originally posted here by DjM
    Hello.....Ahhh...............version & operating system please.

Cheers:
    I'll throw something out here just in case...

We order a fair amount of PC's from Dell with WinXP - the Dell Security Center by McAfee comes preinstalled - there are two components to be uninstalled to remove it from the machine, and you have to remove the VirusScan component first - if not, McAfee protests. Perhaps you are experiencing this issue?
    - Maverick

Originally posted here by pooh sun tzu
    DjM, I have mentioned this already. The only OS possible is windows, and which version of windows does not matter. Version of McAfee doesn't matter either as this is a windows specific problem (involving services). Let's wait and see if the above solutions help him.
    You might want to check the Mcafee site like I did.
    Uninstall: VirusScan 7 (Windows 2000 only)
    Uninstall: VirusScan 7 (Windows XP)
    Uninstall: VirusScan 7 (98/ME only)
    Uninstall: VirusScan PDA
    Uninstalling VirusScan from Windows 98 Plus!
    Now maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer to follow the instructions from the vendor.

Cheers:
    DjM

Did you read those links? It tells you how to uninstall it, which is a near duplicate for each operating system. The diference? Hardly any. The reason why there is so little difference? Because the OSes are so similar, uninstallation methods are DUPLICATES.

Windows 2000 uninstall

# Click on the Start button.
    # Highlight Settings then click on Control Panel. The Control Panel will then appear.
    # Double click on the Add/Remove Programs icon. The Add/Remove Programs Properties dialog box will then appear.
    # Locate McAfee VirusScan (or just VirusScan) on the list of installed programs and single-click on it so it is highlighted.
    # Click the Add/Remove button.
    NOTE: If at any time you are prompted to remove shared files, answer Yes To All.
    # Windows will then attempt to remove McAfee VirusScan from your computer. If the operation is successful you will need to restart your computer. If McAfee VirusScan is successfully uninstalled you do not need to complete the remaining steps in this document. If you receive error messages or find that McAfee VirusScan was not completely removed then follow the steps below to manually remove the program.
    Windows XP uninstall

# Click on Control Panel. The Control Panel will then appear.
    # Double click on the Add/Remove Programs icon. The Add/Remove Programs Properties dialog box will then appear.
    # Locate McAfee VirusScan on the list of installed programs and single click on it so it is highlighted.
    NOTE: If at any time you are prompted to remove shared files, answer Yes To All.
    # Windows will then attempt to remove McAfee VirusScan from your computer. If McAfee VirusScan is successfully uninstalled you do not need to complete the remaining steps in this document. If you receive error messages or find that McAfee VirusScan was not completely removed then follow the steps below to manually remove the
    Windows 98 uninstall
    # Highlight Settings then click on Control Panel. The Control Panel will then appear.
    # Locate McAfee VirusScan (or just VirusScan) on the list of installed programs and single-click on it so it is highlighted.
    # Windows will then attempt to remove McAfee VirusScan from your computer. If the operation is successful you will need to restart your computer. If McAfee VirusScan is successfully uninstalled you do not need to complete the remaining steps in this document. If you receive error messages or find that McAfee VirusScan was not completely removed then follow the steps below to manually remove the program

Notice? They are 99% the exact same method (windows likes to keep things from previous versions for rememberance ability) with the exception of the wording in minute places.

Originally posted here by pooh sun tzu
    Did you read those links? It tells you how to uninstall it, which is a near duplicate for each operating system. The diference? Hardly any. The reason why there is so little difference? Because the OSes are so similar, uninstallation methods are DUPLICATES.
    I'll be sure to let McAfee know that their support documentation is all crap according to pooh sun tzu and everyone should follow his/her directions and ignore the vendors documentation.

Cheers:
    DjM