dcsimg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Linux to use

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    Knoppix is a complete linux kernel distribution that is designed to run entirely from the CD. They took the phalck idea a step further and put a fully functional linux on CD that would auto-detect the hardware on any PC and run, complete with the KDE gui.

If you really want to get to know Linux, the best way is to take your SuSE, install it and use it. You'll have to make decisions on what services to install, device drivers, X or no X, what shell to use for the command line, etc. You can really personalize it to your tastes. That's the beautiful part about Linux. I say SuSE because you already have it. You may want to look into the ever popular RedHat, or FreeBSD.

If, on the other hand, you just want to "get to know" Linux, use knoppix or install Cygwin. Whereas Knoppix is a complete Linux distro on a single bootable CD, Cygwin is a linux-like command interpreter. It's great for learning how to run a basic linux command line, and alot of command-line based programs (like nmap and S.A.T.A.N.) will run under Cygwin. (I don't know if you've seen cygwin or not, just threw that in as an opt.)

I personally prefer knoppix to cygwin, as knoppix is a true linux kernel. The best part about knoppix is that it can be run entirely from the CD without even touching your hard drive (it won't even make a swap file!).

btw: I love your avatar, scriptkiddie18....that's truely unique FreeBSD installation

Banned
    If you really want to get to know Linux, the best way is to take your SuSE, install it and use it. You'll have to make decisions on what services to install, device drivers, X or no X, what shell to use for the command line, etc. You can really personalize it to your tastes. That's the beautiful part about Linux.
    Yes i wanna get to know linux a lot better but i never heard of stuff like that...am i ready for it?

I think SUSE Linux is better interm of Graphics because I used it before, and Linux Redhat is famous among the professional one. It's all depend on you, if you want to know more, just spend some time to make research. The more you know, The better you get.

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    When I first got started with Linux (way back when cars had wheels made of stone), I had no clue what I was doing. I was about to take a job as a network administrator for a company that was running some servers on Xenix, and I knew next to nothing about Xenix, or any other Unix. I did a search and found something called "Linux" that said it was like Unix.

I downloaded it and made install disks (on floppy of course -pre CD-R) and installed it on a i386DX I had, and voila....I was running Linux. If I can do it, anyone can.

Just read the release notes, readme and getting started files for the distro you are going to install

The best advise I can give is to get you a book for the complete noob, such as Linux for Dummies. It won't give you in depth info, but it's an overview of the OS and how to use it on a daily basis. It also has an installation section that focuses mainly on RedHat distros, but all Linux installs are similar. Get it and give it a quick read while you install. It's worth the embarrasment of having to buy a "dummies" book. They have really good info.

Hope it helps, and if you need anything while you install it, email me.

SuSE sucks use BSD prefferablly FreeBSD

http://knoppix-std.org/

that's a variation of Knoppix. It's better in my opinion, and was customized by the guy running the site. It's Security Tools Distribution.
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.