dcsimg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Hat installs gone bad

Still tinkering I am on the right track but want to try and figure it out myself before I askd for help again and didnt have as much of a chance last night to work on it as I had wanted to. Half the trouble is just getting use to the command line interface my only in depth experience with this has been with cisco routers and the cisco ios and bash are more than just a little different.
    \"Hardware: the parts of a computer that can be kicked.\"
    -Jeff Pesis

Ok tried both drivers the picture is clearer but still a little distorted but things are still zoomed way in so that I am only look at maybe 1/10 of the screen area that I am supposed to see and everything is really big. Super probe said that I have 1024k of video memory which is what the XF86Config file is set to. How I have been changing the Config file is using pico not sure if this is the best way but it was the best method I found on google and I dont have the experience to know another way. I also tried this config with both of the monitors and I have been manually changing the Horizontal and vertical sync using the information found here .

The results with both of the monitors has been the same.

Edit:
    I also just tried Xconfigurator and at the PCI probe it said:

PCI Entry: TGUI 9660/968x/968x
    X Server: XF86_SVGA
    XFree4 driver: (default)

after answering Ok I get the response:

Server doesnt exist, cant continue
    tried to use ../../usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA

Now my card is a Providia 9685 so I dont know if the PCI entry is right but doing some poking around on the redhat site i found this . Not quite sure what the significance is here but something doesnt seem right.

Also just to clarify I installed 7.2 because the video card is compatible according to redhat and when I tried to install 9.0 I couldnt make it through the installation without problems. I thought that this would simplify things and once I get a version installed I can just image the drive and try an upgrade.
    -Jeff Pesis

any more ideas?? I do accept gut feeling, superstition and any type of similar experience as valid input here because I dont have a clue.
    -Jeff Pesis

Well I tried many many things and while according to all of the information that I have found the configuration that I have should have worked I finally just gave up added a 2nd hard drive to my good system and 20 minutes later I am now on a working redhat system. The beauty of new quality hardware!!! If only I could afford more.
    -Jeff Pesis