Thread: seeking advice on computer forensics...

seeking advice on computer forensics...

Good day,

Are there any computer forensics professionals here?

I've been browsing the web lately and I've stumbled upon the field of computer forensics that stimulates my interest in getting involved in such field.

I’ve searched the web for profiles of computer forensic investigators and I noticed that most of these talented individuals have law enforcement or military background of which I have none except for my ROTC units (Reserve Officer’s Training Program) that is part of my college course (taken up bachelor of science in computer science).

I also noticed that there are few education establishments that offers training on computer forensics but not open for the general public.

With regards to my technical skills, I worked for 9 years in the I.T. industry as an application programmer, technical support engineer, junior systems administrator, webmaster and currently, a systems engineer.

I have minimal computer security skills and recently concluded my class at the Cisco Networking Academy with hopes of availing the CCNA certification at the end of the month, so as to avail the security specific training of Cisco. I’m also considering taking the Security+ certification later on, to somehow compensate my lack of updated computer security skills.

What words of advice can be given to an I.T. professional like myself (with no law enforcement/military background) who is interesting in entering the field of computer forensics (training, certification, education)?

Tnx in advance.

Greetings...

I was in the same position just a few months ago, with the difference being little computer experience anywhere above data entry.. Most of the schools for forensics I have looked at require at least 2 years of college, or an ability to demonstrate that you know your way around computers.

You definately have the skills. If I had the same skills, I would be looking into an online course. They're expensive. One that I was looking at a while back was an 18 week course, and you only had to be there 3 days.... and I can no longer find the link for it At any rate, it was over $5000)

Btw...I'm not a forensics professional, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night!!
    The training can be done on your own... read books, practice the techniques, etc. Many of the 'forensics' certifications teach the usage of a specific type of software (which they conveniently sell)

I would recommend looking at the tutorials by groovicus, he is very much into the forensics side.

You have not got a military/police/intelligence background? That might be an advantage as they are "institutions" and after a while you start to be like this:

What I am saying is that you are not "results driven" with our blinkered, budget orientated thinking that comes with that motivation/constraint. You have an open mind, lateral thinking and good peripheral vision.

I would strongly advise that you go lateral and start by looking at data security/encryption/secure deletion and data recovery. There are a lot of people who work in data recovery and security, the "forensics" tag is largely a function of what sort of data it is.

What I am saying is you need to look at the broader picture, before deciding where to apply those skills?

EDIT: damn it groovicus.......you got there before me
    Good luck

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    Yep, nihil...you do get to be

After a while you start thinking about wierd stuff like building a Faraday Cage around your computer!

I guess that's O.K. Being noid gives you a whole new look on life, and new habits....

Now where's my Zoloft?

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    SANS track 8 GIAC Certified Forensic Analyst (GCFA)
    www.giac.org
    www.sans.org
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Hi, 576869746568617

I guess that your favourite William Shakespeare play is "The TEMPEST"

and I would recommend it to all our users because it is NONSTOP action?....but you cannot take your mobile phone or WAP device on site

Hmmmm........................I have a feeling about you old chap

Well done souleman, but I still feel that to start at a broader level is best.....not to put all eggs into one basket, so to speak?

Good luck

Good luck with that....seems interesting.