Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Start-Menu

Start-Menu

I have problem on one of my camputers.

In start menu i have two folders with name program (when i pushing win botton).
    But when i browsing start menu i getting folders with name

program
    programs

i cannot delet unnessesary folder (windows showing msg that it is "bad" to do it) and when i installing some programs some of them going to "program" folder and some to "programs" folder.

Help me pls
    // too far away outside of limit

I would say that this was caused by an older program that installs to a default folder which has not the standard installation path. In itself it is not too serious. Windows will warn you about deleting any folder which has executable files in it as standard.

what should i do?
    i using win2k

I havent got 2k here at home but I will connect to my 2K box at work tomorrow and see how it looks. To see if I dont have the same thing. i wouldnt worry about it too much. I would check which programes are in the second folder. It is mainly an organisation problem. In anycase i will get back to you tomorrow. There is a very good chance that you will get other answers between now and then.

till then take care.
    muracu

if u want to delete any programs u should go on start control penal add and remove programs.....
    before doing that u should go on my computer right click on locak disk (C go on properties then make sure everyone of those things are checked then click disk cleanup.....

txzzzzzzzzzz.............

If you want to just delete the folder itself just go to c:\Documents And Settings\<your username>\Start Menu\ and delete the folder. Nothing bad will come out of deleting shortcuts.

I checked my Win2k box and there is no folder called "program" so if you installed something that you do not want, just uninstall that. If you want to move the programs from that folder to another, just go to the first part of this post and copy and paste the shortcuts to another folder.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Nope, i tried and that dont working. I looked in regs (regedit) and found "start-menu" there too. I deleted one "program" folder in register and efter that i tried to delete folder with same name in "start-menu" on disk, but it does not worked.
    I got error msg agane. Is it some some more places where win2k saves info about "start-menu" construction?
    in start menu it looks like

Program <--must be deleted, i got error when i do it, same error as \|/, but it is wrong error
    _______
    Program <--this is system using "standart name" and I have same error here,(right error)

but same programs installs in first folder and same in secound.

on hard disk i have look like this

start-menu
    program
    programs

I need to delete whole folder, not just shotcurts in it. But first i need too Unrigister this folder as system folder in widows and make it to normal folder that can be safe to delete and windows will not make new folder like this and install shortcurts there, but how can i dot it?

Say if you need more info.

just checked on my 2K box at work. i have only one sub menu programmes. What is the exact message you get when you try to delete the folders?
    you could also go and try the following. right hand click on a clear part of the task bar at the end of the screen.
    choose properties in the menu.
    on the properties window go to advanced tab.
    click on the advanced button. this will ring up an exploer type window.
    try to delet the folders from there.
    my machine is a 2k pro box so might be a little different;

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    A few questions:

a) are you admin on this box? If you are, you might need those privileges to delete the folder

b) have you checked the registry

c) did you install anything prior to this appearing (could this be activity of something else?)

d) are there any programs in that directory (hidden ones?)

Just outright deleting the folder isn't, IMHO, a good idea until you figure out how it got there -- especially if you didn't put it there. It may be an indication of a break in or something else. You won't know until you find out the why.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

try this
    right kick on start press explorer and the go to start menu in the address you'll see 2 programms and then delete the 1 not needed