Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Code that can't be cracked" -- Toronto Star, January 19th 2004

If anyone stands a chance of cracking this particular code without brute force (which, let's face it, is an option open to people with money rather than the mathematicians who really understand what's going on) I'd bet on it being Andrew Wiles if he wanted to try. If I recall correctly, his PhD involved eliptical curves, and he went on to apply these in his proof to Fermat's Last Theorem - a puzzle that baffled mathematicians for years.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

I don't know, have you seen some of the stuff that the guy Rainman was based off of can do? He computed the day of the week of a date like January 1 123132423 in a matter of seconds.

Other stuff:
    http://users.lk.net/~stepanov/mnemo/kimpeeke.html

And Undertaker, I got some alarm clocks you can add to your cluster.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Interesting. I'm going to get this PDF to see the formulas. But I think that formulas are just drawback. If you want to use encription in cellphones and other "small" stuff, it has to be fast, and not CPU demanding. That is where is the key. If anyone want to brake this stuff, take the app which is using it... and remeber, everything has a hole, the only difference is size of it.
    Ikalo
    ------
    Make your knowledge your deadliest weapon.

Originally posted here by Lansing_Banda
    I don't know, have you seen some of the stuff that the guy Rainman was based off of can do? He computed the day of the week of a date like January 1 123132423 in a matter of seconds.
    Perhaps, but being able to find the modulus of two numbers extremely quickly (which is essentially what he is doing - seeing as he would know what day January 1st was this year and then just do 123... mod 7) does not make him an expert in eliptical equations.

I think there's an easy way to do it anyway because someone I know had to write a Pascal program to figure out what day you were born on.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Personally, I think they are using the old reverse pscychology to guaruntee that their project continues to stay safe. Anyone cracks it, then they know where the weak points are. That is why even though companys hate places like packetstorm, they wouldn't survive without them.
    [shadow]Wizard In Training[/shadow]

Much apologies to pooh sun tzu and Tim_axe for the double post. I missed a page.
    [shadow]Wizard In Training[/shadow]

all code can and will be eventually cracked.....

you want security.... unplug your computer

AKA [glowpurple]Boston_Ripper[/glowpurple]

That still wouldn't give you security. The following techniqe is to pick up the phone and so some social enginering into having the person on the other end of the phone to simply plug the computer back in. Because in order for one extreme to exist an equal but opposite one must be present - there is no love without hate, and there is no security without hackers.
    -HDD

you want security.... unplug your computer
    LOL

agreed

Bah! I bet the guy from swordfish can break it... while recieving fellatio...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.