Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Software to limit tracking cell phone users

There is no civil liberty attached to a wireless device contstantly transmitting information back to a central core and freely available to anyone with a radio tuned to UHF frequencies. Watch your cell phone everytime the little light blinks it's polling for data and possibly modifying local location tables at the cell control station.

In the United States, someone who probably lost a loved one due to a failed 911 call, incited some minoroty group that most likely won the hearts of a few people who eventually instituted the 911 regulation that forced cell phone companies to come up with some kind of way to locate a telephone. That is why I constantly preach, be careful what you scream for as a people. With newer technologies, such as GPRS that became much easier, becasue even at the time the FCC set a deadline for the system to be operational, it didn't work. Now it works a little, within a few hundred yards, or hundred feet if your lucky. I am not sure how someone could tell the instant you walk into a store that your are there, the cell phone company isn't doing it. They can barely keep people talking without interference and degraded signals and dropouts, and chances are you will lose the singnal walking into the building. My guess, and if it was me, I would snoop the IMEI being broadcast back to the control site and force a text message on you through a mass spam e-mail gateway. But I am not of that sort, and if I walked into a store that spammed me they can kiss my ass, and I'll go someplace else. Unless of course I chose to be notified on my own accord.

The FCC gave cell phone companies until 2001 to make it work. Now they have 4 more years, Phase 2 is dues in December of 2005. So it's getting better but in all situations new and expensive equipment must be deployed. Major cities are pretty decent, especially test beds. But hell, no one considers anthing less that a few hundred feet possible in terms of mass rollout. UNLESS, GPS receivers are imbeded. But at a few hundred feet someone should be able to see your burning car. If you look on the positive side of the technology. Or your girlfriend sees what pub your hidding out in. Bottom line, some carriers don't even want to spend the money on it and if they do, they are looking for ways to make up for the expense.

AO Part Timer
    There is no civil liberty attached to a wireless device contstantly transmitting information back to a central core and freely available to anyone with a radio tuned to UHF frequencies.
    While this is a very valid point, one that I will agree with you on. It doesn't reflect our bill of rights.

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
    Losely, this allows us security in privacy of our homes and effects.

The point is their should be more privacy, not less. We have all this "wonderful technology" and the best we can do is create lots of spam, and serve pop ups. IMHO that is a violation of my rights.

Perhaps the cell company isn't responsible. Just as Microsoft isn't responsible for things like lop.com, bargain buddy, and cydoor. The point is they have taken it upon themselves to develop new technology for us to enjoy, and all that has happened is it is a general annoyance. If that doesn't violate our rights, then you might as we'll wipe your ass with a copy of the bill of rights and hope not to paper cut yourself.

Well, if you have read the original artical, it is technology to limit their ability to track you.....but it is not. It will be a service, probably by subscription, that limits the uses that can be used as they follow you. In other words, they are still going to be able to know your location, but if you opt out of certain services, buisesses won't be able to use this to spam you with.
    Our (USA) bill of rights, no longer apply to an individual. We have let them modify this to the point, that if any agency wants to they can search, tap, hinder and hamper you as much as they want, or will.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

AO Part Timer
    Originally posted here by moxnix
    Well, if you have read the original artical, it is technology to limit their ability to track you.....but it is not. It will be a service, probably by subscription, that limits the uses that can be used as they follow you. In other words, they are still going to be able to know your location, but if you opt out of certain services, buisesses won't be able to use this to spam you with.
    Our (USA) bill of rights, no longer apply to an individual. We have let them modify this to the point, that if any agency wants to they can search, tap, hinder and hamper you as much as they want, or will.
    Exactly, they are selling us a service we don't really need. To allow us to protect our selves from being found so they can give us their spam. Here's an idea, why create such a service in the first place? Why does they phone company, government need to know where I am at all times. So they can sell me a service to stop others from tacking me? Maybe I am missing the benefit here.

Originally posted here by dopeydadwarf
    Exactly, they are selling us a service we don't really need. To allow us to protect our selves from being found so they can give us their spam. Here's an idea, why create such a service in the first place? Why does they phone company, government need to know where I am at all times. So they can sell me a service to stop others from tacking me? Maybe I am missing the benefit here.
    How can you say "we" don't really need it. Perhaps you don't need it, and based on that you will not pay for it. There is obviously a market for this type of service or the companies wouldn't even be looking to sell it. What we "need" is a very ambigous statement. There are many different forms of "need" from the things that allow us to survive to the things that bring us enlightenment( Maslow's needs theory ) If you don't want to be tracked, don't carry a cell phone, it's that simple. The government is not forcing you to carry a cell phone.

Damn those government conspiracies.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    There's always the new cellphone marketing gimic available to maintain your privacy. You can buy them in the 7-11. You buy the phone and you buy the minutes right there. No paperwork required. So next time you are 500 miles from your house go into the 7-11 and pay cash for one. They will never know who bought it so they will never know who you are. They will know where you are - but then they are tracking an unknown person.

If you do something naughty with the phone like call the FBI and threaten the president simply destroy the phone and thoroughly hide the remains.... No-one will be any the wiser. Other than that, caller ID may give the person your number and that may be used to locate you when it is turned on but other than that you are anonymous.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

My cell phone has a location indentifier program built in, but it also lets you disable this. I wonder if it is really disabled. I have a sanyo 8100 if anyone finds an article on it.

They can still find your general location if the phone is tuned on. Signal levels from adjacent sites could be used to mark location within a few city blocks, but that would take personal intervention on the part of the cell operators controlling center and a few engineers. Hell, even if it's turned off I could blast a mobile radiation pattern around the cell site area you were last connected to and excite chrystals in the reciever that would vibrate and make a small presence known. Very small but perceptable. They would make an identifiable noise and if given the previous footprint that I may have recorded earlier, you could be found. Diffulculty level, extreme but hypthetically possible. The expertise of the investigator and the high cost of equipment make it highly unlikely, even improbable outside of very rare circumstances.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Road: Now who says that when I'm not using it I'm carrying it with me. Who says I'd use it more than once?

And I give you fair warning..... if you try to excite my crystals with your big pulsing thingy your going to get a shock.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Hmm, I don't want to excite your chrystals either..... but while on the subject, I could also pick up a laptop so better not have one of those either. A cheap radio from radio shack will do that as long as it can tune to your CPU frequncy, those crystals generating that 1.2Ghz signal are my friend if I am looking for you. With a little time I could map out every laptop finger print in your band of 7-11 cell phone conspirators. In fact I could set outside with a van and pinpoint your compressor on the beer fridge for future reference when beverages are needed, all using an extremely sensitive loop antenna and a radio reciever, not your typical AM.FM variety, but something nice. The factor in your favor? I have to follow you to the 7-11 store and be in some kind of contact with the emitting device while you have it in your posession to get a base line. Hmmm, now I see how I scared away a blind date talking about this stuff once. I wouldn't do it, it's just possible and fun to theorize