Thread: how to ENABLE auto logon?

how to ENABLE auto logon?

When you installed win2k on my system, the installer will ask you if you want to have the same user to be loged on automaticaly or if you want the OS to request the password on every reboot. I choose to ask for the password option. Since I have dual-boot, I reboot all the time. It has gotten tiresome to type my damn password all the time, since I rather get a cup of coffee and come back to a ready computer. I changed my password to "null"; that way I don't have to type it on every reboot. But the OS is pausing and asking for "the password and I have to be there to hit "Enter".

Do any of you know how to enable the auto logon again so I can just reboot and choose windows in Lilo and my computer will do the rest?

If you need me to elaborate, let me know

Thanx for your time

From HERE

It is possible to make the logon automaticly, which is very convient when using a strong password to avoid network attacks but still wants to have easy physical access to the machine. It is possible to configure automatic logon with Tweak UI, but it can also be done through REGEDIT.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows NT \CurrentVersion \Winlogon]
    DefaultUserName = "MyUserName"
    DefaultPassword = "MyPassword"
    DefaultDomainName = "MyNetworkDomain or MyComputerName"
    AutoAdminLogon = "1"

Note the security policy "Don't Display Last Username" must be disabled for the automatic logon to work. This can be done with this STRING registry value:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software \Microsoft \Windows NT \CurrentVersion \Winlogon]
    DontDisplayLastUserName = "0"

Note in Win2k/XP one can force autologon, so when a user logs off it will automaticly logon again (Though it will disable remote logon):

ForceAutoLogon = "1"

Note it is possible bypass the automatic logon in case one need to access another account than the default. This is done by holding down the keyboard key SHIFT while Windows is starting or holding down SHIFT while logging off. It can be disabled with this registry key:

IgnoreShiftOverride = "1"

Note in Win2k/XP when using Tweak UI to setup the username and password for autologin, then the password will be encrypted and saved at [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SECURITY \Policy \Secrets \DefaultPassword]

Note in Win2k/Xp one can also configure automatic logon in the Control Panel by opening "Users and Passwords" and unchecking "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" and it will prompt for the username and password for the automatic login. But it doesn't work if logging on to a domain.
    Might help, quick search on google.

wow... great site man...

I will sound like a newb, but in order to change the registry ... do I have to export it, change it and then merge it back ?????

also isn't tweak UI only for NT .... or does it work on 2k

just run the regedit and change the values given...you can make a back-up if you mess up...just in case
    start>run>regedit
    is that what your asking?

Easiest way for you to turn on autologon was this:
    Note in Win2k/Xp one can also configure automatic logon in the Control Panel by opening "Users and Passwords" and unchecking "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" and it will prompt for the username and password for the automatic login. But it doesn't work if logging on to a domain.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar

Re: how to ENABLE auto logon?

Originally posted here by rabit
    Do any of you know how to enable the auto logon again so I can just reboot and choose windows in Lilo and my computer will do the rest?
    For security, it may be best if you leave the password prompt on. I know this can easily be circumvented, but why make access easy.

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com