Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can't access registry editor

Antionline Herpetologist
    I'd suggest a format. Especially since PCcillin couldn't clean it. Then, after you reinstall everything, UPDATE. Update your AV, your windows, everything.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Often when an AV says it can't clean means the whole file is a virus, thus there is nothing to clean, as long as the executable isn't running should be able to manually delete, however I agree, with a major infestation like that, you want to format, you never know what came in during that mess.
    [gloworange]
    find /home/$newbie -name *? | www.google.com 2>/dev/null
    [/gloworange]

I agree, format is easy solution. But it can be time consuming. Just imagine how much time it takes to install OS, then install all of your programs. 3 hours minimal.

try to do this:
    [list=1][*]boot to safe mode (disable system restore etc.)[*]delete all infected files[*]restart[*]if everything works fine scan for viruses next few days[*]if there is a bunch of errors, you'll have to reinstall OS[*]if that doesn't help, you would probably have to format[/list=1]

Some errors from step 5 might be of type "couldn't start program xxx.exe because it is missing". you will have to delete some keys for HLM\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
    Ikalo
    ------
    Make your knowledge your deadliest weapon.

I had a similar problem, but it was not a virus. I keep my AV up to date, run Spyware, and Ad-Aware. You do need to get rid of the virii, however they are not necessarily the problem. I think I messed something up by writing to a part of memory that I should not have been touching... or something. Anyway, I just rebooted and it worked. Norton AV is really good about cleaning and it does AV before it installs.

-Cheers-