Thread: Office 2003/XP Add-in: Remove Hidden Data

Office 2003/XP Add-in: Remove Hidden Data

This is something new (published 1/5/2004). A nice (security) tool from Microsoft.

With this add-in you can permanently remove hidden and collaboration data, such as change tracking and comments, from Word 2003/XP, Excel 2003/XP, and PowerPoint 2003/XP files.

When you distribute an Office document electronically, the document might contain information that you do not want to share publicly, such as information you’ve designated as “hidden” or information that allows you to collaborate on writing and editing the document with others.

The Remove Hidden Data add-in is a tool that you can use to remove personal or hidden data that might not be immediately apparent when you view the document in your Microsoft Office application.
    It works for Office XP (2002) and Office 2003. It can be downloaded (free) from here.

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    Finally, a useful MS tool (just kidding...most of them are useful). But this one I could really use. Thanks for the link, jdenny.

Thanks for that........very useful.

You can also use it to remove the "bloat" that attaches itself to such documents before you distribute them.

I have noticed that MS office documents seeem to get bigger and bigger with each new release, yet ISPs don't seem to increase the size of permitted attachments?

Cheers

There is also a tool call Doc Scrubber http://www.docscrubber.com which you can view those hidden data and remove them