Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: netBT Problem

I'm running winXP Pro, but i tried it anyway no luck . ... sorry to keep bugging you about this.
    Ooooo i forgot it used to work before i followed this guide http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=237662
    I'd really like anymore ideas you have ?
    -

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hrmm...
    The best way to disable DCOM is in the registry. Click Start -> Run and type 'regedit'. Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Microsoft -> OLE. Change the key EnableDCOM from having a value of Y to having a value of N. Reboot your maching and issue the 'netstat -an' command again. TCP port 135 should not show up.
    Perhaps reverse this? You may have to reverse all the security measures and then apply one-by-one to see where it stops. My understanding of NetBT is that to disable it you need to stop the server and messenger services. I suspect that one or both are not actively running and that might be why you are running into issues. If you have disabled the DCOM that might also be interferring with it.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Thanks for the advice, i'm just going to work through undoing all those things now .. i'll let you know if i find anything for later reference for anyone with the same problem
    -

Hmmm the only service I have enabled that you don't is Protected Storage which doesn't matter. I do have AFD Networking Support Environment listed as a dependency to the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper but as far as I know, that is for QOS operations. Let us know if you figure it out.
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

Nope ... i'm sorry to say that even after spending the whole evening trying to get nbtstat working again i didn't find out how too ... in the end i resorted to a system restore to take me back to an earlier time when it was working.

I hope that anyone else with the same problem has more luck.
    -

I am having the same problem and have spent 4 hours on this already. I was disappointed that mikester2 did not get it resolved and resorted to a system restore. Everything that mikester2 I have tried and it still is not working.

I did follow a guide to securing XP like mikester2. After going threw his link on this forum I realized that the culporate might be the following.

Click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> System -> CurrentControlSet -> Services -> NetBT -> Parameters. In the right pane you should see a key called 'TransportBindName' and it should contain the value '\Device'. Right click on this key and select Modify. Delete that value and then click OK. When you restart your computer Active Directory will be disabled.

#####
    UPDATE

I change the key back to \Device rebooted and it did not work. I still think that it has something to do with this issue. We both change this key and had the same problem. It seems be related to the Active Directory.

Any other ideas?

I am not sure if this is just a typo in your post, but the value should be:

\Device\

rather than \Device

Incidentally, I am aware that this is an old thread, but it is an old thread regarding a problem that was never resolved which makes it legitimate for reopening IMO.

Originally posted here by nihil
    I am not sure if this is just a typo in your post, but the value should be:

\Device\

rather than \Device

Incidentally, I am aware that this is an old thread, but it is an old thread regarding a problem that was never resolved which makes it legitimate for reopening IMO.

Thank you nihil! It works now and this issue has been resolved. I did not have it listed as \Device\. Made the change and it is working fine.

I opened the thread because I had the exact same situation and it had not been resolved. Now the next person will have something else to check that has a proven resolution. Mikester2 was on the right track and pointed me in the right direction.

Thanks again.

Thankyou arnoldpoindextr

It is good form to complete resolved problems by reporting back.

As a general comment, if the date is flashing, it means that the post is old and past its "sell by date" (this one was just over two years old). However, in this instance, you found an identical instance where the problem had not been resolved, and did the right thing by re-opening it so I could read the whole thread straight through.

Ack phtt! we got there in the end didn't we?

Cheers

thanks for the solution

netbt got resolved thank a loooottttt wasted 2 weeks...