Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Which version of Linux to use

Hey gore

In all fairness, Gentoo works very well at a lot of tasks. If you decide to use this, talk to Shrekkie / Raiden, and get on his good side. He is to Gentoo, what I am to SuSE: An elitist.
    Well, I have to admit the following. I have HAD a lot of battles in the past about this, strongly believing in Gentoo and thus defending it with everything I could. Since I have tried alot distros, and I am now using mostly debian, just for the things gore summed up. I even was against debian at that time (there used to be a war between debian /gentoo). How silly it was ...

As I teach linux now in evening school for adults, I tell my students to try out, to experiment with different flavors. It's all up to yourself. What are you comfortable with. I use Ubuntu for day to day use (as its debian based) and debian for my server environments. I even support my students in their distro-flavor, as good as I can.

The irony ... huh ?
    Last edited by Raiden; January 22nd, 2009 at 12:51 PM.

Irony would be if you used my install tutorials for them. Considering how much bashing you used to do to me based on the fact that I wrote so many Linux and BSD installation tutorials.

Does Debian still have two patches a day? I haven't actually looked in a while because of the stuff I've had to do this past year, but I remember watching Bugtraq thinking "Wow, Gentoo and Debian have like at least two patches a day, why is this?".

Gentoo was worse, with like 2 - 5 patches a day rolling by the list, and then Debian was in second place with 1 - 2 patches per day.

Slackware only had some once in a while, and SUSE was sort of in the middle. Which is to be expected considering they customized most of their stuff with at the least a logo, and at most a total re-write.

I always thought SUSE would have more just because they had a whole team dedicated to auditing the code line by line like OpenBSD goes on and on and on and on about. It made sence they'd have more because they went over the whole system line by line to fix security bugs, but they seemed to always do a good job.

I remember a while back having a laugh with Marcus Meissner, the head of SUSE security, who I might add once wrote a Kernel patch, FOR ME, because it screwed up my Nvidia drivers after an update and I happened to be talking to him at the time, and he went in early to patch it for the card I had, and released it so I could keep 3D. I thought that was nice

Anyway, we had a good laugh one time; A bug got released that had a security vuln in it where you could get access with it. People were nagging him about releasing a patch and he simply pointed out that the only thing this exploit did was allow you to "own yourself". you already needed an account and to be logged in, and so he was like "I'm not patching this. I'm not making a patch that could in itself break something and make people reboot because you can get your own password. That's stupid, I'm not doing it, download the exploit and use it the next time you forget your password".

I just thought it was funny.

Anyway, lately here is my set up:

Laptop:

Small XP Partition for DooM and Quake and Wolfenstein and UT.

Rest of disk:

Mandriva 2008.0 with 3D and neat looking Compiz.
    --------

Main Desktop #2:

One huge HUGE partition. Open SUSE 11
    ---------
    Main Desktop #1

HD#1: Windows XP. Hasn't been boosted in a long time.

HD#2: way bigger drive. Whole thing allocated to FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE
    ---------------------------------------------
    Test desktop - Old machine -

Partition 1 - Windows 98 SE for Magic The Gathering game that won't work on anything else.

Partition 2 - Slackware 12.2

Other Laptop:

XP on one partition, SUSE 11 on the other.

Also have Solaris around here too, but I don't let it go online. #1 because I haven't spent enough time to figure out how to have it connect, and two because I don't know quite what I'm doing with it yet, so it's probably safer to let it play offline for now. Love the layout and how it works so far though.

-----------

Server / Old Computer. Was the first one I ever bought. P3:

Two HDs. First drive is Slackware 12.0 with VSFTP running.

Disk two is way bigger and is one big partition /storage for ...Storage.

Banned
    I decided to give links to Linux installation tutorials that have been written by members here that I just dug up. Most of the ones are from me, because I pretty much just searched for them and grabbed a few others too, but after you choose which one you want, these links may help you in the installation process, so, enjoy:
    ---
    Mr. dich thuat

I think that something got lost in the translation here...............

I think that Mr. Tuat = Mr. ****

I have banned the nasty little bot's account anyways.

A question for you Yanks:

When you scurried away from Vietnam you left 30,000,000 craters caused by ordnance with a payload of 500lbs or more. Given a population of 14,000,000, will they ever let you back on Camp Perry?

@gore

I notice that the bot selected yours and my posts to copy and repost?

I have left the link for those fluent in Vietnamese. Sorry, I couldn't find any sex drugs, penis enlargers, or pr0n..........but I don't do Vietnamese

They DO have killer food if you try a Vietnamese Grill some time. Damn good food.

Linux version..!

Well, I've been using Linux for more than a year now. Have been doing a bunch of research bumping me from a noob to an advanced user . Well, my favourite all time distribution is SuSE. I have it on my desktop and my laptop which I bring to school since I don't trust Windows for mission critical data anyways. I haven't touched Windows for normal usage for months (since Linux got whacky on me). I only use my Windows partition for Gaming only now...
    Last edited by jxhp25; December 8th, 2011 at 02:48 PM.

We call that "Wintendo" normally; You use Linux, or BSD, or really any OS you like, and keep Windows just for games, like a Nintendo could only play games and nothing more. So yea, there's actually a term for that.

I've done it too. I have... Well, we have 11 Computers here, and my Network have Desktops and Laptops both, and, I have exactly ONE Partition with Windows on it; Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit is on my Main Desktop on a single Partition, dual booting with Slackware.

The rest of my machines all run either Linux or BSD of some sort. There's not to many games I play that don't work in Linux or BSD; I mostly play FPS games, and in particular I play the id Software ones; The Original DooM Series, Quake Series, Wolfenstein Series, and I also play the Unreal and Unreal Tournament Series. All those work on Linux and BSD though, and other than that, I like League of Legends, and Dungeon Crawlers. Dungeon Crawlers as in the type of game; I play Dungeon Crawl the text based game as well. Which is native to Unix.

HYBR|D
    lol "Wintendo" i swear that is the 1st time i've actually heard that.

Me too!

Whilst gore is right in that most games are written for Windows, Windows itself hasn't really been that games friendly in my experience, which is why I still have older versions running on older machines.

The money is with Windows, and the games vendors want you to buy another copy?

Somehow I have never found any emulation software that was quite "the same"

Windows 8 seems to be a bit different in that I have had success in at least loading some older games that I didn't expect.

I am beginning to suspect that Microsoft are beginning to "look after #1" in that if they make their latest offering compatible with older stuff, they will sell more copies, particularly if they throw in VM as they have with Windows 7 Ultimate.

As for the question:

An Argentinian version of Debian 5
    A Cuban version of Gentoo

I also tried and rejected a couple of Chinese distros they just seemed to be translations with nothing innovative.

Pretty much everything gore has personally recommended

An English version of Debian 5 that someone gave me on a linux magazine DVD.

I once tried Ubuntu but didn't like the turd colour scheme ............. the Moon OS that gore recommended is much nicer

HYBR|D
    Have you tried Fuduntu ? it's a mix of debian & fedora, very very lightweight, and it's pretty much the only *nix distro that has worked out of the box on my new laptop.

once installed you can go into the preference menu, select customize installtion and it will open a winder and you can change a heap of settings to fine tune the installation. It also seems to make connecting & sharing between window boxes very easy.