Thread: Desktop.ini

Desktop.ini

I have this file desktop.ini file in every folder on my C drive....what is this thing?
    Never really cared...but now i do...is it adware,spyware trojan or something else?
    peace

It's an MS tool for purdying things up.

File system folders are commonly displayed with a standard icon and set of properties, which specify, for instance, whether or not the folder is shared. You can customize the appearance and behavior of an individual folder in two ways:

Create a Desktop.ini file for the folder
    Create a Folder.htt template for the folder
    Folders can be displayed in either Classic or Web style. For a detailed discussion of these styles, see Web View. The Desktop.ini file, discussed here, applies to both styles. It allows you to assign a custom icon to a folder and control its behavior in a limited way.

To customize the folder's style beyond what is possible with the Desktop.ini file, you must create a custom Folder.htt template for the folder. This file will only affect the appearance of the folder when the Web style is selected. If this template is not present in the folder, the Shell uses a default template. For further discussion of .htt templates, see The Web View Template.
    You can view the whole write-up here

No matter what it is... I'm sure you know there's only supposed to be one Desktop.ini. To be safe, I'd delete all of those except the one in your C:\Windows\System32 folder.

The most common use of the Desktop.ini file is to assign a custom icon to a folder, that's why it's in all of your folders. You can also use it to create an infotip that displays information about the folder and controls some aspects of the folder's behavior, such as whether it can be shared.
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

Originally posted here by Plastic
    No matter what it is... I'm sure you know there's only supposed to be one Desktop.ini. To be safe, I'd delete all of those except the one in your C:\Windows\System32 folder.
    Hopefully by now you've figured out this is wrong. but just in case you haven't. There can be as many Desktop.ini's as their are folders on your computer.

you know there are many folders...and that means many files so i guess i'll just leave it
    thanks to all