Thread: any one intrested in a good laugh and has some time to kill

any one intrested in a good laugh and has some time to kill

I was recently on a programming messageboard where someone posted this link... I found it quite amusing, so I thought I would share some laughter.

I have some personal favorites...

>DOS:a command based o/s in windows.

>DUMB TERMINAL:a keyboard and video display connected to an network.

>.KERNEL:is a hacking term used to describe the core of an o/s or program.

>OS/2:a windows like o/s from ibm,microsoft windows is like a clone of os/2 with very much the same features.

link: http://drackel.koolhost.com/hackingdictionary.html

whether this site is a hoax or not... ill leave that for some one else :-p. I went and checked the links section to see who they thought was a credible source of information and noticed a link here (remmbered I have an account here). so I decided to post it here so you know how great of an influnce you guys have on the world :-p. j/k, enjoy the laugh tho.

---> BinaryMayhem
    You have been infected by the Amish computer virus. We do not believe in evil technology, like computer programming, so this virus works on the honor system. Please manually delete all the files on your hard drive and forward this to all of your friends
    Thank you for your cooperation,
    The Amish World Order

hey yeah thanks for the link.. some good ones there, but excuse me as I found the ones you chose, not to be funny or accurate.. (besides, there is a tech humor forum now and welcome back)

>DOS:a command based o/s in windows ---- WRONG... maybe command.com is but not true dos.
    >DUMB TERMINAL:a keyboard and video display connected to an network --- ok, I accept that.
    >.KERNEL:is a hacking term used to describe the core of an o/s or program. --- well, maybe
    >OS/2:a windows like o/s from ibm,microsoft windows is like a clone of os/2 with very much the same features.
    ahh gee.. OS/2.. ms windows.. it was Xerox that came up with the first good gui or at least the principle of it..

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/511/4

The first real-life, usable GUI appeared in Xerox’s Alto computer, which debuted in 1974 and was envisioned as a smaller, much more portable replacement for the mainframes of the time. The Alto, which didn’t have a GUI as you and I are used to using, but instead featured graphically driven applications, was about the size of a Volkswagen (well, not quite, but the thing was big) and certainly not useful for the average user, even though it started its life showing an image of Sesame Street’s “Cookie Monster.” The Alto featured a bit-mapping display, which was essential for displaying graphics and WYSIWYG printing. Kay, David Canfield Smith, Bill Verplank, and others also developed iconic representations for various programs for the Alto, most noticeably the drawing program “Markup,” the text editor “Bravo,” and the painting program “Superpaint.”

In 1981, the design and concepts which gave birth to the Alto led to the development and production of the much more streamlined, and more usable Xerox Star – the first true GUI-driven PC. According to Bruce Horn, an ex-Xerox employee who wound up working for Apple, the software architecture for Smalltalk and the Star were much more sophisticated than the Mac or Windows equivalents. While the Apple machines incorporated much of Xerox’s brainstorms, many of the most innovative and sophisticated ideas never made it into the Apples, mostly due to Apple’s insistence on keeping costs down. The Star featured the first “computer desktop,” as well as overlapping, resizable windows, and the sophisticated PARC mouse, a gee-whiz gizmo that ran with no moving parts and used laser beams and a metal grid to track the cursor’s movement (though employees found that the mouse worked just as well on Levis as it did on the metal grid). The interface was known as WIMP – Windows, Icons, Menus, and Pointers. PARC’s consensus was that once these ideas were implemented on a wide scale, computing efficiency would increase dramatically.
    so.. who stole from whom ? IBM was stupid back in those days all focus was on mainframes.
    it's rumored that gates got his contract from IBM because the other top contender invited by IBM blew off the meeting (a golf meeting) and little bill got his break because he at least showed up.
    those are the "facts" that I know of.. I'm open for disputes on the topic.

hey yeah thanks for the link.. some good ones there, but excuse me as I found the ones you chose, not to be funny or accurate.. (besides, there is a tech humor forum now and welcome back)
    that's exactly why I chose those to be my favorite . Some how I missed the tech humor forum. (was 2am tho) oh well... now I know where to post next time.
    You have been infected by the Amish computer virus. We do not believe in evil technology, like computer programming, so this virus works on the honor system. Please manually delete all the files on your hard drive and forward this to all of your friends
    Thank you for your cooperation,
    The Amish World Order