Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Network problems!!!

ok, you probably need to add your network IP range to the trusted zone in your firewall.

double click on your firewall in your system tray then select personal firewall, and hit configure.

click on the home networking tab, and add a IP range.

in your case it would be 192.168.200.1 - 192.168.200.100

then ok

you should then be able to see your comptuer as long as you have them in the same workgroup, and have file and printer sharing enabled.
    =

cheyenne1212 your advice has been really usefull, cause now i can at least see the name of my PC in the MSHOME ( that is the default workgroup that i use for both PC´s )..but still i cant see the name of the other here ( AUGUSTO ) and back there it always shows the same message when i try to see the workgroup "Mshome is not avaiable, you might not have permission to see it. Please contact your system admistrator"...
    Right now, i have this:

I config the network like, the Local Connection ( the USRobotics Cable Connection has the internet connection ) and the Local 4 ( the network card ) has the network share and printer blábláblá..u know what i mean.
    So, i run the netsetup from the floppy disk on the other, but nothing..the same message.
    Right now i´am using the following Ip´s: 192.168.1.1 for the first, and 192.168.1.2 for the second and i put that on the firewall..it works fine, the sub Mask on the first one is the default one..and on the second has well, i don´t know if i should modify the submask on both, i don´t know shi$#$ about these issues, can u tell me from what iv told u, what is going on on the second PC, cause it´s the only one that i can´t access the MSHOME, and i can´t see the name of it over here..only mine
    Owmen

By the way, the Ethernet Adapter that i have on this PC ( mine ) is a: Fast Ethernet OvisLink LFE-8139ATX #2, and on the second machine is a: Realtek RTL8029 (AS) - based Ethernet Adapter ( Generic ).. i toke this info from the hardware tab.

I don´t know if it´s usefull..
    Owmen

Grrr lol, sorry for beeing posting this separated from the other post, i just saw it now, but on the floppy disk of the first one it says: LAN-DRV-R 301 Ver: M.I.T LEF-8139TX #1 and on the second one: LAN-DRV -201 Ver: M.I.T 8029 AS ...if u think u need more info please say, but i think i´m giving all necessary..i think..

Thanx for everything so far
    Owmen

your subnet mask will always be 255.255.255.0 for the 192.168.1.1 + IP range.

I know another problem you might have but am in school right now and have to listen to this database thing right now

give me an hour and I'll post again.
    =

I don´t know were u from, i´m from Portugal here it´s 5:32pm..so but i will be online till 4am my time here..i don´t know what is ours but i guess that iwill be on all night on so lol..there´s time i guess

Thanx for the support
    Owmen

Another thing you should check on the other computer that doesn't have a firewall is go to your network connections (right click on network places and select properties) on your LAN connection righ click it and slect properties then hit the advanced tab. Make sure that internet connection firewall is off.

let me know if that doesnt help.
    =

Hi, and sorry for the delay on this, i was out of my cable connection, &%$&% the Portuguese ISP´s..anyway, i checked that and the firewall is out.

I have this ideia, like: i guess that one end of the cable ( the one that i converted in crossover ) may be damage, because in this machine i can configure evrything but in the other i cant.
    At first i tested 2 without my cable modem, just an intranet ( cause is very offen the cable companies being so lame and we have alot of probs with IP´s ) but even without the cable modem on it still didn´t worked.

But here´s another thing: I have 3 network adapters, and it didn´t worked with another adapter..wich makes me belive more and more in the cable damage teory.
    Another thing has well is the fact that in the hardware tab, on the client PC ( the one that i´m having the probs ), on the network adapters properties, i changed the several TP Half Duplex, TP Duplex, BNC/10Base2 AUI /10Base5 and only with these last 2 options the green light of the Realtek network adapter ( the one on that pc, the client ) turned on continuous. But when i checked on the server ( this one, that has a Ovislink 8139 ) the signal was off..the adapter saud that a cable was missing or not connected..but with the TPhalf and full Duplex the adapter acts normal. Has if evrything was okay.

Another thing that i did, was ipconfig /all in this PC and the result was this:

Configuração IP do Windows

Nome do sistema anfitrião. . . . .: w4z6f3
    Sufixo DNS principal. . . . . . . :
    Tipo de nó. . . . . . . . . . . . : Desconhecido
    Rota IP activado. . . . . . . . . : Sim
    Proxy WINS activado . . . . . . . : Sim

Adaptador ethernet Banda Larga:

Sufixo DNS especÃ*fico da ligação. : netcabo.pt
    Descrição . . . . . . . . . . . . : USR6000
    Endereço fÃ*sico . . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-49-A4-5B-FF
    DHCP activado . . . . . . . . . . : Sim
    Autoconfiguração activada . . . . : Sim
    Endereço IP . . . . . . . . . . . : 213.22.131.116
    Máscara de sub-rede . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0
    Gateway predefinido . . . . . . . : 213.22.131.254
    Servidor DHCP . . . . . . . . . . : 212.113.164.33
    Servidores DNS. . . . . . . . . . : 212.113.161.226
    Concessão obtida. . . . . . . . . : quarta-feira, 28 de Janeiro de 2004 15:46:54
    Concessão obtida válida até . . . : quarta-feira, 28 de Janeiro de 2004 16:16:54

Adaptador ethernet Ligação de área local 5:

Sufixo DNS especÃ*fico da ligação. :
    Descrição . . . . . . . . . . . . : Placa Fast Ethernet OvisLink LFE-8139ATX #3
    Endereço fÃ*sico . . . . . . . . . : 00-4F-4E-05-44-80
    DHCP activado . . . . . . . . . . : Sim
    Autoconfiguração activada . . . . : Sim
    Autoconfiguracão de endereço IP . : 169.254.159.0
    Máscara de sub-rede . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Gateway predefinido . . . . . . . :

On "Tipo de nó. . . . . . . . . . . . : Desconhecido" before i connected the Cable Modem again, it said: "Difusion" i don´t know if this is the right word in english, in portuguese is: "difusão".
    When i do the same thing on the other one, on the: " IP Rote activated. . . . . . . . . : Yes, Proxy WINS activated . . . . . . . : Yes" ( i translated it for u ) on the "yes" field, it´s always "no"..

I tried to modify evrything there but nothing..always no.
    Anyway this is all the facts i could till now discover. I guess that after all these test´s the problem is the cable, what do u think?
    Owmen

cheyenne1212 i found the problem, it was the cable!!

I modify the ends again, run a test program and it worked fine!
    I just configured it now

Thanx for all the time and support man!! [][]´s

Owmen
    Owmen

no problem.

glad you got it working.

btw just to let you know I can't read spanish very well. lol
    =