Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Network problems!!!

Home Network problems!!!

Hi, i have this problem here: i simply CAN´T config my home network!!!
    I have an US Robotics USB Modem from my cable operator, two machines both with Windows XP Professional, two network adpters..and the necessary cable to link them..so far..so good!
    The problem is, when i connect the network adpter to the second PC windows detected it, installed it and it works fine..but when i install the other one in the main machine it says that it appears with an red X saying a cable is not connected..in the other one it appered has well..i cant config the network in any way..
    I tried to use the Modem has an network adpater to at least give the other one an Internet connection but nothing..
    Has i´m no expert in IT or networks i really need help here, has i whanted to leave this ready for this weekend for my father, has i will be out..
    Can any expert here help me with this? please

I´m here for any more information about the hardware etc..that you might need to help me out!!
    Owmen

Please, if you know someone here that might help me, please link it to this post..
    Owmen

Did you try switching the 2 networks adapters...or maybe you need the curent drivers

Make sure that your cables are good...sometimes one end will go bad or break and it wont find a connection.

When Ive seen this problem before, its because the NIC was disabled in the device manager.

start-->right click My COmputer-->select properties--> Select the hardware tab, then select device manager.

Look under network adapters, and make sure that it is enabled (right click it and select enable)

try that.

Also what exactly is your setup? Are you using a router? switch, or you using microsoft ICS?
    =

Hi, sorry for the delay here, i had another probs..man, windows..jesus..well, i´m not using a router cause this is only a connection bettween 2 PC´s!
    Iv made an aditional search and found this: http://www.homenethelp.com/web/expla...-crossover.asp

I think it´s the cable, i think..cause the cable i have is a CAT5e but it´s configured to work with a HUB cause it´s not like the diagram of the crossover..so now i have 2 new questions:

1- I have access to the special equipment to put the RJ-45 and another adicional 2, so, can i simply modify the ends like the diagram of the crossover, and make this one a "crossover" cable?

2- If not..can i still finda a way to make this cable working?

Thanx for the patience!!
    Owmen

Ahhh no hub, just a direct connection between two computers. Thats your problem.

Yeah you definitely need to have crossover cable and not straight through.

What I would do, if you can spare a couple inches is just cut off the ends and redo them as crossover cables. then hook them up.
    =

Hi there, again ( it becomes an habbit lol )..
    Still the same problem..cheyenne1212 i inverted the cable to make it a crossover and the connection between the two network adapters is confirmed..now, the other problem..how to make this work..!!

Here´s what i did so far:

- After i connected the two adapters, i choose to make a Small/home network, then it appeared to choose the network adapter i whanted to use ( i have a US Robotics Cable Modem and a Fast Ethernet Ovislink adapter ), so i choose the second one. Them created a disk to run on the other PC..i run the disk on the other pc but i couldnt do anything..the name of the other machine doesn´t appear in this PC, and i can´t see the name of this one over there..so i tried to do the same but this time choosing the US Robotics..and nothing the same result..i have netBEUI in both ( suposly it should be an easy task ).

- Next i made a search on the net on how to config a home network..there i found one that said that i should remove netBEUI and use only TCP/IP and put 192.168.200.1 and 192.168.200.2 on the machines, i did that..but nothing, cause i can´t even see the name of the other machine on this PC and vice versa..nothin, on this machine only the name of the mine appears cause i created a test folder to share on the network..by the way, i created one has well on the other but nothing..

So, here i´am..and i don´t know what more can i do

Can any network expert help me out or at lest anyone who has a home network, with crossover or what..Ã*t´s important!!

Thanx, Owmen
    Owmen

DO you have a firewall running on anyone of your machines?

Also do you have the same workgroup name?
    =

Yes, i have a firewall on this one ( Norton Firewall 2003 ) and i have the same workgroup name on both, since i run the disk i created on this machine..
    Owmen