Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: how to be undetected in LAN

so...you're trying to create a new version of S7?

Cybr1d
    It is because of people like you that i have stopped posting on this site.

This site used to be helpful but now it seems like Cybr1d and others like him are waiting for someone to flame well here i am bucko!!!!

G was asking a legit question.

you can hide on a network but this all depends on what type of network we are talking about.

Server/Client this is the hardest to hide on does the server use active directory and group policies because if so then this may stop access to certain parts of the network such as net access etc

Workgroup network you can hide but as someone has already said it would still be a little bit difficult but all this depends on how much the people your trying to hide from know and wether an IDS system is in use.
    [pong][gloworange]665[/gloworange] Next door to the [glowpurple]devil[/glowpurple][/pong]

_G_ its going to be extremely difficult to remain anonymous of the LAN as at some point you are going to make and ARP request/send out a packet etc.. in order to communicate. If you just wanted to sit on the network and listen to traffic anonymously then just place your NIC into promiscous mode and sit back, however as you want to actually establish communication with something else then it gets a bit tricky. You could of course try spoofing another address on your LAN (however this gets someone else int trouble).

However it does sound like you want to install a trjan on the network, so you are not going to get much by the way of specific information to do something that is "bad" (remeber, lots of the folk on here are the security people who need to deal with people who try to do things like what you are doing).

As for some of the other people who responded to you maybe they need to give their ego's a rest and realise that not everyone out there is as 'brilliant'as they are.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Cybr1d you do have a tendancy to flame and make judgements without a probe. However suspicious it may seem there is not need to flame. Besides, I think he should be able to look up what to do with what he has been told. And remember, believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

-Cheers-

Cybr1d, if i had the knowledge to make a new version of s7.....

R0n1n, (and others who really game an "advice"), seems like to be undeteected in lan is very hard, maybe i'll firgure ti out someday, now i think i'll use the "variant" to be someone else (to see me as another computer), I don't plan to "harm" with s7, i want to "cheat" (not really games....or some other fun stuff e.g. renaming mp3's - with a totally diferent name,tilte,artist). that's all.

_G_ it depends on what you want. if you want to be as undectectable as possiable Slarty has already answered. If you just want a low level of visability to hide from notice you could try the following on the command line:
    net config server hidden yes
    i am not sure if this will work on 98. I know it works, with a slight differance in the format, on windows NT/XP/2K/2K3 machines. This will just stop your workstation showing in the network neighbourhood. If all you want to do is stop people exploring your machine this is a good start. For more information on what it does you can check out microsoft. the articles title is 102967 - REG Server Service Entries, PART 1.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

You can always just make a one way cat5 cable by removing the transmission wires from the end you plug into your computer; this will not allow any packets to flow from your computer to the switch at all.

Good diagram, very detailed

The3ntropy that's something! i think i'll try it (seems to be a good hardware mod)
    can you describe a little more? what wires must be "cut"?
    if i make it one way (DIRECT or CROSSOVER?) i will only recive packets?

That sounds awesome, anyone ever do that?

One way cable will only allow packets to flow one way, it's not a crossover or hub-to-hub cable. Look at the diagram for more information. These are the type of cables I have always used on all of my snort IDS machines, and I have never had any problems. However, I am not sure what will happen when/if used with windows networking. But since it is physically impossible for your machine to send packets to the other end of the wire, it is the only true way to be undetectable.

Good site to learn more about normal Cat5 cabling, helps to understand how a one-way cable works