Thread: Auto-connection?

Talking Auto-connection?

Hey,I have a problem with my pc.I run winXP and since the last week apparently and often
    it dials-up to connect to internet without ''asking'' me! Is that because of a worm or something?
    I have zonealarm pro as a firewall and panda antivirus platinum.Can u suggest me any better
    antivirus program?Any ideas about my problem?..........................Thankz!

Try Ad-Aware 6.

Just google it, download and install.

Set for scanning in compressed files also.

Scan and delete all files found.

Probably you got one or more Auto-diallers on your PC.

Grtz,

JaKe.

Indeed, do what sparkant said, also I don't know if Panda antivirus is a good one as I've never used it. Do you keep the defintion file up-to-date.

BTW: jo, close-by fellow belgian
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Panda's Titanium is, AFAIK, as good as Norton or McAffee.

And for what it's worth, it's only 37 Euro's, instead of 45, like Norton and McAffee.

The main problem is that an AV package only protects you against real virii, and not against Spy-ware or auto-diallers.

Why this is, beats me. But we're lucky that there's a free package like Ad-Aware, IMHO a fine piece of free soft with aesy-to-use functions.

Grtz from Antwerp to El-Half!

Grtz,

Try "Spybot Search & Destroy". (do the updates )
    It goes much further than AdAware (still a good program)

Sounds like you may have one of those 'xxxdialers'

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Since when did adware/spyware become a virus? Maybe thats why AV programs don't block them... they are not a virus.

visnu> What are you doing when you connect to the internet? There is a setting in XP to "auto connect when needed" which will automatically dial out any time your computer trys to access the internet. Its possible that you turned that on so now when the computer wants to be on the internet, it connects itself.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Originally posted here by souleman

visnu> What are you doing when you connect to the internet? There is a setting in XP to "auto connect when needed" which will automatically dial out any time your computer trys to access the internet. Its possible that you turned that on so now when the computer wants to be on the internet, it connects itself.
    Very true, and I would believe that your answer lies here. If you have an IM client configured to autoconnect, or an antivirus program that is attempting to autoupdate, this could (and will) cause your XP box to attempt to connect to the internet,.
    Perhaps you should use the cnt+alt+del and bring up your task manager when this happens and see just which program is attempting a connection.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Visnu,
    You may need to disable:
    -Windows Update
    -MS Works update
    -Internet time-synchronisation feature

Two other features of XP that auto-dial the Internet
    - the Search Assistant
    - Help and Support Center

You may need to install the Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1). This may fix some bugs for the Search tool.
    For the Help and Support Center,
    click Options -> Search Options, then disable the option to search the MS Knowledge Base.

Also, check here for some assistance
    XP Services

Note - This is just a summary of an article from Here
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Thankz anyway,i think i will find the solution........