Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accessing The HD

Accessing The HD

I messed my PC up a bit and i recovered it to WinME and installed XP now...I have 2 disks...C which WinXP is on and my D disk which has my movies games music etc....and i cant access it...i double click it and a pop-up wants me to format it in order to access it...is there a way to get my files without formating...thanks in advance

Banned
    What filesystem is your D-drive?

Did you install XP on NTFS, or on FAT (if you upgraded from WinME to XP Home, it's possible that your C-drive is in FAT, while your D-drive is NTFS)...

If your C is FAT, and your D is NTFS, you'll have to convert the C-drive to NTFS (using convert.exe).
    If your C is NTFS, and your D is FAT, you'll have to convert the D-drive to NTFS...

With the file size of movies, games, and music, it could be difficuly to transfer them to other media. However, simply open up IE and type: D:/ (D being whatever the drive letter of that partition). You should be able to see the files. I just tried it and it worked real easy.

good luck

I'll have to type faster Negative you bet me to it. (fat & ntfs)...lol

Banned
    If it's a filesystem-problem, he won't be able to access them with IE...

Developer Extraordinar
    I'm not to sure, but you could probably download a boot-able Linux distro, (From the CD, from the floppy, whatever) and mount both hard drives (For example: mkdir /mnt/hda1 then mount /dev/hda[harddivenumber]) <- do that for both, and cp -R or mr or whatever the files from one to the hard drive. It should work if the distro has the ability to mount FAT32 drives, or if your Windows XP drive is NTFS, NTFS and FAT32 drives.

Peace

MB

My C is FAT32 and my D is NTFS and i have WinXP PRO which is on the C disk...so what does this have to do with my D disk...ok so what am i supposed to do?

Edit: I found this website and i will try and convert my C disk to NTFS and that would fix the problem?

Banned
    Exactly
    It's a painful process, you won't loose any data, and your problem will be solved!

Developer Extraordinar
    I'm not to sure, but you could probably download a boot-able Linux distro, (From the CD, from the floppy, whatever) and mount both hard drives (For example: mkdir /mnt/hda1 then mount /dev/hda[harddivenumber]) <- do that for both, and cp -R or mr or whatever the files from one to the hard drive. It should work if the distro has the ability to mount FAT32 drives, or if your Windows XP drive is NTFS, NTFS and FAT32 drives.

Peace

MB
    That will work without converting anything, without installing anything, and without a chance of loss data.

Peace

MB

Update: I converted C to NTFS but D still wont open....
    In My Computer it shows both disks but for C it shows the filesystem and size of the disk...but for D it only sais local disk ( D: ) and thats all...****ing **** i need my files

anyone know this...i just reinstalled my WinXP and just a min ago i got a pop-up saying shutdown in 60 seconds...i turned it off with CMD...but i had this same **** a while back when i had a virus...why did it pop-up just now?

Developer Extraordinar
    RPC explain (ie. Blaster) maybe? What did the message say excatly?