Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Explorer authorization problem

Explorer authorization problem

Wondering if anyone here can give me an idea of what is wrong with my browser. It turns out I can't get into some pages and all I get is an error I had not seen before.

"You are not authorized to view this page
    You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied. "

what credentials are they talking about?? and how do I change them??
    I Speak in frequencies even dogs have trouble hearing

You have enabled content advisor and it have a password.

You can fix it by doing this to reset password from content advisor

1 Go to start, run, type "regedit" and press "OK".
    2 Expand the folders down the left, in this order.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    >Software
    >Microsoft
    >Windows
    >CurrentVersion
    >Policies
    >Ratings
    3 On the right you will see the word "Key" - Click it once, then press "del" or right click, and select delete.
    4 Close the registry editor.
    5 Go to start, run, type "explorer" and press "OK".
    6 Navigate to C:\Windows\System and delete "ratings.pol"
    // too far away outside of limit

Thanks for the reply but that didnt work my friend, and "ratings.pol" is nowhere to be found on my computer. I did find other files named ratings but with a different extension. Anyways thanx again. Im kind of a newbie at web related stuff. Im more of a programmer so I really dont have much of a lead as to what to do, I did reset my web settings, and checking my internet options it says that the content advisor is now in fact disabled.

Try to repair you IE, look in uninstall.

You can also run antispy, it can help or antivirus, it can be some kinde of trojan, may be.
    If it will not help.

Delete all programs from autostart first, reboot you PC and check out if it works.
    Or
    You can also use
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/processexplorer.html
    To "kill" programs that you dont know and find this that makes problem.
    Try other browsers, t. ex. mozilla or opera if them work.
    // too far away outside of limit

Thanx for all your help, I will look that page out. About my problem. well I ran Spybot and didnt get any results but Ad-aware did throw a registry key and described it as a "browser hijack attempt" Will look into that more.

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    Just out of curiosity, what's the HTTP error number?

EDIT: IE 5.5 or 6?

Funny, now that you asked that, the number is Error 403- Forbidden, but it doesn't appear in big bold letter at the top of the page like it usually happens, but rather at the very end of the page, in tiny letters.

I hope it will help you

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=284666

[ if link don't work search it on support.microsoft.com ]
    (-:IF U R A HACKER TRY TO BE ON POINT,IT SAVES TIME:-)

From last reply:
    microsoft.com says the error comes from three possible sources:
    1) A version of Microsoft Internet Explorer that is earlier than version 6 is installed on your computer
    2)Internet Explorer is configured as a Web proxy client of a computer that is running Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2000.
    3)The external Web site is located on a computer that is running Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) that is configured to use Integrated Windows authentication.

I know my problem is not number one. And they dont tell me how to find out if it is 2 or 3 but rather just say update to IE 6.

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    That's kinda where i as going Ritesh, and also to see if it was related to any vulnerability that I know of (corrupt host file, etc.)

EDIT: I assume from your reply to Ritesh that you're running IE6. Give me a few minutes and I'll see what I can come up with.

Could possible be a Qhosts-1 trojan

It's the only thing I can think of right now, but the symptoms you describe aren't exactly the same.

Is the problem intermittant, does it only occur on specific web sites? If it happens on one site and you do a refresh, do you still get the error?

I had this happen once...only on the Windows Update Site. Turns out the date on my hardware firewall was wrong (said year 2002 instead of 2004). Set the date correctly and voila, problem solved.

Just thinking your problem may be related.