Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Careful about entering that ATM pin...

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Unless you are dressed as a Brinks guard or some other "official looking security guard" (not the Rent-a-Cop specials but the big ones). Social engineering tied with this could go a long way.
    Well, that would work to an extent in that it would fool customers, but where I live it wouldn't fool everyone because the security guards are known to each other and to the shop workers so anyone dressed in a security uniform who wasn't recognised would be suspicious to say the least. It could be very effective in anywhere open to the public that isn't enclosed though.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Smaller communities would be difficult but larger cities (like Toronto where I live) wouldn't be that hard.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO Part Timer
    I remember reading an article recently. Theives dressed as ATM repairmen, went into a Quiktrip approached the counter with a work order. Mind you it was the middle of the day. Lots of witnesses and camera's in the stores. The theives hit 13 stores in a three square milesin a matter of a few hours. Now for the part where they got caught. They got pulled over by a police officer for a moving violation. The stupid criminals actually tried to pass off thier employer as that of the ATM company, star I believe. Needless to say it didn't work.

Now let's say these guys hadn't actually lifted the machines. But incorperated the newage wireless skimmers, with matching keypad. If they we're able to move into the store and actually remove the whole machine. How hard would it have been for them to open the machines up on site. Removing no money, but piggy backing their skimmers to the enternal readers, then replacing the keypads with a duplicate that captures the pin number. Slap it all inside the machine, connect it to a transmitter, and leave that broken down car in the lot out front with the receiver. If you look at the ATM's alot of them are as simple to open as a phillips head, or maybe a security bit. The money is held in a seperate compartment so the machine can be teched onsite if needed.

Nice find MSM
    Your heart was talking, not your mind.
    -Tiger Shark

Actually this kinda stuff has been going on ever since ATM's were introduced.

I would be more concerned of doing on-line backing or something to that extent ......

But nice post though.

I dont know I can be a little paranoid at times but this would also worry me a bit . It's old news but worth a read.
    Experts worried after worm hits Windows-based ATM's
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Originally posted here by Agent_Steal
    I dont know I can be a little paranoid at times but this would also worry me a bit . It's old news but worth a read.
    Experts worried after worm hits Windows-based ATM's
    It worried me when, just before Christmas, I walked past my bank to see someone rebooting the ATM and showing the Windows NT 4 startup screen. You'd think they would at least upgrade to 2000 by now.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

It worried me when, just before Christmas, I walked past my bank to see someone rebooting the ATM and showing the Windows NT 4 startup screen. You'd think they would at least upgrade to 2000 by now.
    My understanding is that it's not the same NT (doesn't have the same components) and it's somewhat stripped down. Don't know where exactly I was told this.. a colleague I believe that specialized in setting up ATMs and their networks for banks in Canada.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

MsM is this what you were talking about ?

Windows ATMs Raise Security Concerns
    Windows to Power ATMs in 2005
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

That's it. Windows XP Embedded. I think the other ones were similar variations. It doesn't mean that they aren't victim to virus and such (as we've seen) but they act slightly different.

Thanks, Agent.

Most of the ATMs run on OS/2 based on those two articles. I find that more interesting.