Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FTP server

Hi

ok, first "paranoia" wasn't for me, and the question was and is always : if i use a distant public server , like jana server , even if i havn't got the bandwish i hope because it's not really my server, is it going to solve the problem of the security ?
    (you know it's like if you use msn messenger to send some big folders but a bit more quickly)

What problem of security?

You are really starting to confuse me.

So Jana is a public FTP Server that you have access to? You want to transfer files to it? or do you want to find a server like Jana that you can use and let people access your files from?

ok that's it , i'd like to know if i use jana or something (a distant public server), can people acced to my files even if there is a security ?

Thanks for your help

Edwin

Ok.. let's see if I've got this straight.

You have an account on a public FTP server. You want to put your files on there. You are worried about how secure they will be. (I'm trying to keep this simple so you can follow the English).

Obviously anyone with the username/password will be able to access, modify, and remove those files. Anyone with the proper permissions and a different username/password will have access depending on their permissions. Other than that they will be as secure as the server is. If the server is hacked/cracked then someone has access to those files, if no one breaks into the server than only the people with usernames and passwords will have access.

At least I think that's what you are asking and the type of answer you are looking for.

ok , so i can't , even if there is a security someone can acced to my files if they "crack" the password. So it depends of the security of the server and also the university. and whatever there are some risk. Ok that 's dangerous.

Thank you for your help
    I promise that I will try to ask a good question next time, sorry for the disagreement

Edwin

Well, if you mean setting a FTP on a University computer, that wouldnt work. Usually schools firewalls block ftp incoming and outgoing (Well atleast my school does). You should read the schools regulations and rules before you try to set up a ftp using the schools badwidth for personal use. Usually Admins arn't really happy when people leach the bandwidth.

My school also implented some sort of application that runs on the main computer behind the firewalls in the closet room that monitor certain ports for suspecous activity. As soon as someone notices your setting up a ftp or something, they will find you. Well at least thats what my school does..

Hi

thanks for the advise, but i think there is no problem with the bandwish , there is enough for everybody ,we are not so much and the bandwish is very good (building bandwish is different from school bandwish).

Edwin