Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spam pop-ups

Spam pop-ups

wtf is this ****...i never had it before
    and now i have it on my fresh recovered comuter and also my dad's laptop which is also like new...its a pop up window with advertisement on it...maybe i never saw it on my computer cause of my firewall...but does anyone have this same issue?
    peace

Banned
    You mean the messenger service pop-ups? To disable them go to the Administrative tools and then to the Services and find Messenger, right click on it and choose Properties, then click Stop and choose Disable from the Startup Type box.

yea i think thats it...wow 2 years and i just got them now lol
    anwas thanks man
    peace

Sciptkiddie.......I might be wrong but I think that there was a recent US court ruling that made them legal again?

Because they use the messenger service, firewalls and pop-up stoppers don't work

Cheers

That is definitely an annoyance, but if it's a home computer, there probably is no need to have it running anyway.
    Tim Potts
    Network Analyst

It's a gas!
    netguarder is one of the main culprits for these annoyances.

I too had a problem with them before and decided to visit their site to see what their game was.

What a joke!

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    Firewalls will stop messenger popups, and you don't have to disable the service to stop them. All you have to do is set the firewall to explicitly drop all TCP/UDP packets headed to port 131, and voila....no messenger popups.

Just to let you guys know, especially if you run a Windows based network. Certain things, such as immediate administrative alerts and UPS notification depend on the Messenger service to deliver the alert to the admin workstation, and if you disable it, no notification. (messages are generated and displayed on the local system by the alerter service, but transported via the LAN by the messenger service.)

well i have program that blocks pop-ups... its good program... i use it since i got my computer and never riceived any pop-ups from that time......if u can wait till friday ill bring u cd so u can install or u can download it at www.downloads.com then type in search bar "pop-ups blocker" then choose in downlads....
    txz....
    pizz out.....

57 that is a good point you make, IMHO. There can be really important messages coming through that service.

Banned
    then type in search bar "pop-ups blocker" then choose in downlads....
    They aint pop-ups on IE or any other broswer, these pop-ups come through the Messanger Service that comes with windows.