Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spam pop-ups

ohh...my bad....

Thanks all...i solved it after my pals post (MemorY)
    but i was just curious how i never got them before and was supicious thats all...

Because they use the messenger service, firewalls and pop-up stoppers don't work
    lets say they dont stop them...isnt this like an easy access way for hackers?

Originally posted here by scriptkiddie18
    Thanks all...i solved it after my pals post (MemorY)
    but i was just curious how i never got them before and was supicious thats all...

lets say they dont stop them...isnt this like an easy access way for hackers?
    I suspect they are probably just picking you at random, so I wouldn't worry about that.

However your point about it being an access route for hackers is potentially valid, as Microsoft released a patch last year to correct a buffer overrun in the Workstation Service component of Win2K and WinXP, which is used by the messenger service.

See http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...n/ms03-049.asp for details.

It can also be used in a social engineering way - for example sending a message that looks like a Windows error popup, which might cause you do something untoward.
    As a home user, you definitely don't need it so turn the sucker off.
    Incidentally, Microsoft agrees with this, as with the SP2 service pack for WinXP it will be disabled by default.