Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice

Defimately do not start with C that truly is diving in at the deep end. VB is a good place to start (there are also a thousand books and tutorials on the subject) then play around with Perl, python etc... and finally give C a whirl.

I`m rather fond of python myself.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

There is a lot of programming languages, and all of them has it's good and bad sides. Most of them are mentioned in previous posts, but one somehow sliped. What about Delphi/Object paskal??? I know bunch of programmers that use it as their primary tool.

my sugestion would be something like this:

first something simple, like Turbo Paskal or qbasic, just to get basic ideas about programs, but don't waist more than month with it. Then start with something Object oriented. The easiest to learn is VB and Delphi. After you start to make something useful with those, start to learn c/c++, because those will give you more power to make things you could't do with VB/Delphi

And ofcourse, if you realy have time and nerves, you can always try assembly...
    Ikalo
    ------
    Make your knowledge your deadliest weapon.

This is a great resource that has helped me many times.

http://www.intelinfo.com/free_computer_books.html
    Mad Beaver

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    I haven't even seen Turbo Pascal in a very long time! From my experience (yours may vary) I liked it, but didn't use it much, as I could do more with C.

I wonder if they still make a FORTRAN compiler...now there's something I haven't used in a really long time! Oh, and don't forget Clarion, and VRML. Actualy, can anyone recommend a good VRML interpreter? I wouldn't mind playing around with that again.

Assembler.....OMG! Now your talking! It will make your head hurt and it's archaic as hell, but it's so much fun. I really wouldn't recomment a noob to programming even look at assembler until you get comfortable with something like C. thehorse13 is on the point with this one (as he always is...very wise.). His suggestion to go with a compiling language and an interpreter language is very wise indeed. That's what I would have done, If I had the chance to start over.

BTW, anybody still code in COBOL? Just wondering.

There's a fortran compiler in the gcc compiler collection, g77. As the name suggests, it only supports fortran 77 though.As for getting started, I'd suggest installing linux, as it comes with at least perl, C, C++, fortran, and python. You can't beat the price either seeing as it's free.

If linux isn't really your thing, you can still get some good programming tools free for windows. Sun gives away their JDK for Java development at http://java.sun.com, perl is available from www.activeperl.com, and there are many free C/C++ compilers available although none of them beat microsoft visual studio.

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    VS .NET...now that's a good package. I saw an education version somewhere online not too long ago for $199 US. I'll see if I can find it and I'll post a link. (That's a dirt cheap price!)

well, i would suggest go for basics first n then start with easy programming lang.s like VB, VS. Net n go towards the complex ones.. nothing is difficult, but just complex... I agree with Ronin, C/C++ needs lots of logics... they are really good thing to learn, but first try to understand the basics of programming... for tutorials and samples, you can access: http://www.code4u.com
    Now is the moment, or NEVER!!!

a simple search on the net would do, but you should really read up on them and pick one. Once you figure which route you would like to take then it will be easier to find what you are looking for.

I hate and dont undestand classes

I will learn it soon. I hope so.

thx.
    // too far away outside of limit

Hi 576869746568617 ,

Yeah we all code in FORTRAN 4 here .....I moved house recently and found a pile of "job decks" for the stuff I did at University....80 column punched cards?...no screens?....wait three days for the output.as I recall it was an IBM 360............I did a bit of algol60 and some cobol, but the cobol was "unofficial".

Those were the days

Cheers