Thread: Network Help?

Network Help?

i didnt know what forum to post this in so i will post it here. well i am connected to the internet via a cable modem and am trying to use a switch to connect 2 computers to the internet but my problem is that one of the computers isnt connecting and i cant figure out why. does anyone have any suggestions as to what my problem might be? if you need anymore info let me know
    There\'s Not Enough Bud For The Kottonmouth Krew, Cuz When We Smoke We Smoke To Get Away, To Elevate From This World Of Hate

You aren't having any luck because your cable company only gives you 1 IP address. After the first computer grabs that IP, you are SOL because there's no where to get the second address. You need to call them and request a second address. Around here they usually charge about 10 bucks per additional IP. Your other option is to buy a router, let it grab the IP address and then use NAT and assign private address to your two machines. I suppose you could always use ICS or a linux box as a gateway and put the other machines behind that on the switch and it would work the same way as the router.

Peace,
    HT

thanks for the help...i picked up a router and everything is working fine now.
    There\'s Not Enough Bud For The Kottonmouth Krew, Cuz When We Smoke We Smoke To Get Away, To Elevate From This World Of Hate

In my experience, cable ISP's are usually stingy with IP's. DSL will usually let you have up to 5. I doubt this is universal, but it seems to be the norm. I don't know if satellite will give more than one. It all depends on the ISP.

BTW: BrightHouse sucks.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.