Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: E-mail forensics

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    Count me in too!

Had this ready yesterday but didn't know where you wanted it posted....

OK mate....I know how you got that info...everything except the user account I was logged on as.....how the hell!
    Windows 9x: n. A collection of 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor. Written by a 2 bit company that can\'t stand 1 bit of competition.

one word: metadata

I don't know...worked fine for me.....does the metadata id the actual name of the account or the sid

I dont think it goes that far. It will leak certain information which you would rather not share . Be careful when you email your resume to someone . If they really want to look, they might find something that they wont like.

Go here and check out how to get rid of metadata.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;223396

I guess every Office file uses them

Thanks for the link, Cybr1d, but I couldn't bear to wait so I asked by best friend Google!

I had no idea that much info was stored in the metadata! Bet I'll be fixing that shortly...last thing I need is another damn security leak!

Thanks..It was fun nihil!
    Windows 9x: n. A collection of 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor. Written by a 2 bit company that can\'t stand 1 bit of competition.

That is not so difficult because the default is to save into the folder "my documents" AFAIK a unique one of these is created for each user profile? When you look at the metadata, you see the access path, which includes the user account.

Yes Cyber1d, I think that all Office documents do............even powerpoint.

Cheers

what makes it even more interesting is that microsoft knows about its risks and they acknowledge the fact thats it is indeed a vulnerability. Metadata will show deleted text, and the names of whoever edited the text. They claim its an "option" for users to use. Personally i'd prefer that option being off by default.

Cheers,

Looked at it in Hex Workshop. Damn! I had no Idea!..

yes, nihil, each user's default document directory is auto-generated from the user name by the OS. You could get around this by using a file server directory with a generic path.....If you didn't mind someone knowing the NetBIOS name of your file server instead! (that is, of course, if you didn't fix the whole metadata problem.)