Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Against the Law to Offend Underachievers?

Against the Law to Offend Underachievers?

I stumbled across this artile on Fox News and found it to be profoundly disturbing.

After a couple of parents complained that their children might be ridiculed for not making the list, lawyers for the school district said releasing the honor rolls might violate privacy laws.

In an apparent snowball effect, some schools have since put a stop to academic pep rallies and decided not to hang exemplary work in the hallways for fear of embarrassing even more underachievers. There’s even talk to canceling spelling bees."

Original Article from Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/2004/schools/.../a02-45601.htm

The controversy also revolves around laws protecting an individual's privacy. The thought process is that if you post names of "Honor Roll" students, then you are by default violating the privacy rights of individuals that did not make the "Honor Roll," by simple elemination analysis, determining who the "Non-Honor Roll" students are.

Once the "Junk Lawyers" get hold of this and ram it's concept down our collective throughts by driving a suit through our Liberal court systems; we could concieveably see a ban on any "Club" where you have to display a "talent," for the lack of a better work, in order to validate your acceptanance into the Club in question. This could easily be extend to sports in schools, because God forbid that you post the names of who made the football team, where the students that have not achieved a high enough physical condition, or do not have a natural enough ability, to make the football team, may feel "offended."

What a bunch of Malarkey! GRRRrrrrrrrrr.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

It's getting to a point where you can't say or do anything without offending someone, and when you do you may be facing a big fat lawsuit. This is pure BS, and the lawyers pushing it know that.

Good find, OverdueSpy.

Good point.....I say let's quit qiving out gold medals to Olympic event winners.... don't want to hurt the feelings of those that didn't get medals...

Distinguished service medals? Nope. Don't want to hurt the feelings of others that didn't go out of the way to be courageous...

In fact, we should never ever reward outstanding achievement for anything, because somebody is bound to get pissed off.

EDIT: I thought the entire idea of rewards was to stimulate the so-called "under-achiever" to try harder...so what are they saying, people shouldn't even try?

To quote a famous person "Good Grief"

"Public schools in Nashville have stopped posting honor rolls because to do so might make underachievers feel bad.
    Wow, this is getting ridiculous. And to think, it's in my state (10 min away).

EDIT: I thought the entire idea of rewards was to stimulate the so-called "under-achiever" to try harder...so what are they saying, people shouldn't even try?
    That's what I always thought.

To quote a famous person "Good Grief"
    That about sums it all up.

.dublix

Once again a few - mistakingly consider a single personal experience as justification to make idiotic calls to action without ever considering long term effects. To force the will of a small minority on the rest of the people in their community, and for what? A small pile of beans. If you look at the justification they are using; they (just a tiny handful of people) are setting the stage to further digress schoolastic prinicples. The meat of their lawsuit which will stop forcing their children to feel bad for not doing their homework (I was one of those) is privacy. There is a law on the books that states in a nutshell that "schoolastic information cannot be given out without permission" so the kids that feel bad make a note that they have not given out permission to have their grades posted for public view.

Perhaps the parents feel bad because their child may not live up to their own expectations and they are the ones who hate seeing the name posted. But anyway, I look at the future and see how this law can be applied to things such as Pep Rallys where some students are recognized and my god what about graduation ceremonies. Now the school district and teachers will have to issue permission slips to announce on the radio that a basketball player scored the winning basket over the weekend.

I don't get this thinking sometimes, for instance: it's a privacy issue and parents MUST approve of a person being categorized on a list and ranked by acedemic achievement. But their 13 year old girl doesn't have to have, perhaps even the same parent, permission to undergo medical treatment at the local "Family planning is Unconstitional" store. I don't get it, the issue of the day seems to be their food of existance. If they don't have something to complain about, they aren't fullfilled.

Good point.....I say let's quit qiving out gold medals to Olympic event winners.... don't want to hurt the feelings of those that didn't get medals...
    Damn groovicus you beat me to it. Ah well there goes the Oscars!

Hate to say it but that is the second most ridiculous thing I have heard in a long while. It come just after the story about the kid, I think he was six or seven, who was charged with sexual harassment when he kissed one of his friends in the playground.

Then again there are more underachivers in the world than overachivers so this might be one where the majority rules.

"Albert Einstein : Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

I'm waiting for them to outlaw good looks, because it makes us
    ugly people feel bad. Or at least they should pass a law that
    every ugly guy has a legal right to have a pretty girl friend.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

I am waiting for a move to outlaw minvans, they offend me.

Originally posted here by RoadClosed
    I am waiting for a move to outlaw minvans, they offend me.
    Same here, I never could stand the site of those things.

.dublix

Gentlemen, behave yourselves!

I am waiting for a move to outlaw minvans, they offend me
    You are discriminating against underachieving trucks

I guess that this is the death knell of the antipoints system?

Cheers