Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Explorer error leads to system problems

Unhappy Explorer error leads to system problems

It seems like i've got the only working computer lol

I go over to my buddy's house, sit down at the computer and attempt to open microsoft internet explorer on a Windows XP Home Edition system. I get an error message, send an error report and then the browser closes. I can't get the browser to open so i open up a folder and attempt to use the address bar: the address bar is not enabled, i use the fav. list to create a fav item for the microsoft updates page, install updates, restart and nothing has changed. I've talked w/ everyone who has used the computer and no one remembers downloading anything or making any changes so i do a system restore back two days. When the computer restarts it begins to popup error messages saying that a hardware or network connections error has caused a write error to *** ( where *** is a program), these popup messages keep coming for MANY different programs both in windows folders and general program files. Safe mode has no difference and the lag between popup messages makes doing anything impossible.

Any advice or a customer support number that isn't automated or costly?
    A mind full of questions has no room for answers

Huh, this is a tough one.

Posible reasons are: Virus, hardware failure, OS coruption.

I would try with that last one first. If you have installation CD for XP home, boot with it, start installation, you will be offered to repair existing installation. Do not use repar option on first menu, just start install and accept license agreement, the you will be offered to repair existing installation.

if that doesn't help, my suggestion is that you should call someone with experience in repairing computers, not just using it.
    Ikalo
    ------
    Make your knowledge your deadliest weapon.

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    It does sound like a virus... Have you tried bringing up the task list and killing all the processes except system processes, like svchost, rundll32, etc. Kill all of them except the ones required by the kernel, kill explorer too. Then start a new task to bring explorer back up and see if you can operate in the GUI. If you can, update the AV and run a scan.

If none of that works, reinstall like ikalo said. If the problems persist, do it again, except this time, install a new installation into the exsisting directory. Don't reformat the disk. When it comes up, you have administrative rights, so you can migrate any docs, pics, mp3s from the old account directories in Documents and Settings to the new ones.

You'll have to reinstall app software, but 99% of the data files will remain intact.

There is also the possibility that you have a minor RAM issue that is corrupting your files as they are written to the hard disk.

Start up in "safe mode with command prompt".
    When you get to the command prompt, type regedit.
    In the registry editor goto:
    HKLM(Local Machine)\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    The only thing you need in there is systray and explorer. (anyone please correct me if I'm wrong)
    HKCU(Local Machine)\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    same as above.

this will stop progams from running at start up.
    Hope this helps
    Mad Beaver

Re: Explorer error leads to system problems

Originally posted here by hiddeninclouds
    I go over to my buddy's house, sit down at the computer and attempt to open microsoft internet explorer on a Windows XP Home Edition system.
    Problem #1: You should always open Mozilla Firebird...

Have you tried to reinstall IE6? or is this problem no explorer related?

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Hidden, I did some searching and found M$'s article on
    How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP
    Mind you, it's not going to be simple (nothing ever is ). In any event, it addresses Reinstallation of Windows XP in addition to Repairing Internet Explorer and/or Outlook Express.
    Good Luck.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Some versions of Internet Explorer have an easy repair tool.

Goto add/remove programs-
    select MicroSoft Internet Explorer-
    click add/remove-
    A popup will give you three options-
    add a component
    restore to previous version
    repair Internet Explorer
    select repair and click ok
    after it finishes you have to restart your computer.

Only some versions have this.
    Mad Beaver

Originally posted here by MadBeaver
    Start up in "safe mode with command prompt".
    When you get to the command prompt, type regedit.
    In the registry editor goto:
    HKLM(Local Machine)\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    The only thing you need in there is systray and explorer. (anyone please correct me if I'm wrong)
    HKCU(Local Machine)\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    same as above.

this will stop progams from running at start up.
    Hope this helps
    you must be very carefull with this one, because other software that you use could be started with this key...
    the only way to know what to delete is practice... check out this key when you have fresh install, and when you install new software... that will give you some clues...
    Ikalo
    ------
    Make your knowledge your deadliest weapon.

ikalo makes a good point, you want to be sure you don't screw-up your computer, make sure you know what your removing when your in the registry.
    This page is a database of progams you may find in your startup folder, or in the run folders of the registry. http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

It tells you what the program is and what it does.
    Mad Beaver