Thread: Nt4 Vpn

Nt4 Vpn

Hello,

Situation:
    4 NT4 Servers, One Server 2003. NT4 Server running IIS and assigned a public IP. Boss going to Saudi Arabia for 10 days and wants VPN access back to the network.

I would prefer to go with L2TP with IPSEC, Although I am alot more fluent on the 2000 Server side and not sure of anything I need to look out for on NT Server.

Can NT4 Server run RAS with L2TP and IPSEC? Also anyone know of a good resource to see what encryption is supported in Saudia Arabia? I mean can I run High Encryption??

Also, is it recommended that I set up a CA locally for this or get a 3rd party certificate?

Just looking for advise, fist time I have had to set one up, and of course it has to cross international lines to make it even more fun :-)

Thanks!!!
    \"Common Sense, isn\'t that common\"
    \"It is a lot easier to raise a child then it is to repair an adult\"
    -Kruptos

Hodzic, while Google can be very helpful at times, and that might be an appropriate answer to a stupid question like "How do I configreu Eudroa?" This isn't that type of question. This is an indepth one, and from someone who has these types of issues it may be assumed that Google has already been consulted. Linking directly to the search page is a bit demeaning, insulting, and just no fun. Its also rarely helpful unless you've found a VERY good page.

Kruptos, when I get home I'll check my NT Server Admin Guide to see if I can't find anything for you.

Good luck.
    www.ADigitalPimp.com
    There is a ghost in the machine, and he is my friend.

Cool deal,

Thanks for the help! HEHE Just need to re school myself in NT4 I guess, biggest thing is the international lines I will be crossing and support for high encryption.

Thanks!
    -Kruptos

aight........

pizz...

I believe NT natively only comes with PPTP but not L2TP which is the 2k replacement for it. If your RAS is on your W2k3 it should be no problem, and as far as the encryption goes the US only restricts the export of strong encryption, not its use... so I imagine you'll be fine. As for the CA I believe all the certificates can be created by the RAS, the wizards should help you out. I'd suggest MSCHAPv2 as the most secure password method offered by Win2k but you should read up and make sure. Win2k3 may bring something better to the table, if you have to use NT you may have to settle for something a little older or look into a non-MS based solution.

-Maestr0

\"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Cool,

Thanks for the feedback. I would like to use the 2003 server with L2tp if possible. There is a firewall on the border of the network, wondering if I could make a "pinehole" and direct it to the 2003 server for RAS/VPN. That way I could loose the NT4 part of the equation. Havent set this up in such a manner before and have about 2 weeks to implement and test before they go to Saudi.

Not sure if it will work, but thanks for the information, I guess the biggest issue is to find out the capabilities of NT4 and RAS, havent run into anything specific about its support or lack of support for L2TP.

Thanks again for the help!!!
    -Kruptos