Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ranting

Ranting

Hey im just ranting about spywear...

Isn't it illegal for programs to be loaded on your computer without you knowlege?

Spywear/Adwear totally corrupted my computer until i downloaded Adawear, which is an awesome remover for it, as you all must know.
    R3z

I'm sure it would be if you didn't sign a agreement.

Usually when you get spyware on your machine you get if from certain programs.(i.e. kazaa, morpheus etc) When you click on that tab that says "I agree to the terms of the agreement" you saying that you know and agree to having spyware on your machine.
    =

most spyware does notify you when installing, people just tend not to read the eula's and tos's of programs they DO want carefully enough. If you aren't notified at any time, I would call that malware, or malicious software installed without the users concent.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Actually, interesting little bit is that some spyware companies have it so that when you look at their ad you agree to them installing, etc. IIRC, that was one of the ways that Gator got around them installing items or something like that. I went searching for the article but can't find it.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

HI,

OK you asked:

Isn't it illegal for programs to be loaded on your computer without you knowlege?
    Nah.........you don't see it .........so it is OK for THEM to get away with it? "without your permission" is the legalese that we must fight for IMHO.

It is better legalese because Microsoft/*nix load lots of stuff you don't know about.........but they do it with your implied permission when you hit enter?

Just a thought or two............but if the evidence is "tainted", there will never be a conviction no matter how guilty the party?

Cheers

Most spywares/adwares disguised themselves to appear useful harmless programs. I tried searching for laws which prohibits spywares/adwares but I cant find one..more knowledgable people here might know some laws regarding spywares/adwares...(they live on an advance country so theyre more familiar with it ) but in my country surely its not illegal..even hacking, and virus attacks are considered a petty crime here. Maximum punishment for such crime here will just imprison you for two months..(sucks!)

If YoU tHiNk EdUcAtiOn iS eXpEnSiVe---TrY iGnOrAnCe[
    So True
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Next time you download an application that seems a bit suss, just scan the EULA for phrases such as "using part of your bandwith", "gathering information" and "modifying system settings"; these are usually all tell tale signs of ad/spyware (and by clicking "I Agree", you give them the authorization needed).

Prime example: Microsoft Messanger. Not only does it open you com open to many vulnerabilities, not only does it spam your system, but Microsoft made the damn program a hell and a half hard to uninstall. Now, if they can do it, then little fish will have no problem.

Another way that they can get past it is by putting a required key or something in it which is used to get a program to run. For example, the DivX player 5.0 came included with Gator and if Gator was uninstalled, the DivX program would cease to work.

Argument: it is a required piece of the program, and the program just can't work without it.

Wow working around contracts is fun!
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Originally posted here by Lansing_Banda
    Prime example: Microsoft Messanger. Not only does it open you com open to many vulnerabilities, not only does it spam your system, but Microsoft made the damn program a hell and a half hard to uninstall. Now, if they can do it, then little fish will have no problem.

Another way that they can get past it is by putting a required key or something in it which is used to get a program to run. For example, the DivX player 5.0 came included with Gator and if Gator was uninstalled, the DivX program would cease to work.

Argument: it is a required piece of the program, and the program just can't work without it.

Wow working around contracts is fun!

Wow.... where to start... just because i'm in a bad mood tonight and I'm sick of the inaccuracies being posted on this site. I'm being to think that this site is a breeding ground for those with low IQs. Let's start with your "Prime Example".... There's nothing called Microsoft Messanger... primarily because it's Messenger but that's beside the point. There's Windows Messenger, MSN Messenger and Messenger Service. Windows Messenger is the program that MS made it hard to install but it's still a matter of editing an ini file. It is actually quite useful in corporations if you run an Exchange server because then you're employees can use it for conferencing. MSN Messenger is the downloadable IM program (which is compatible with Windows Messenger, using the MS Servers) that most people use today. The Messenger Service has had vulnerabilities released for it, and leaves your system open to spam. However the concept of it was good, just the implementation was bad. Linux systems have a way of messaging all the users, so why can't a Windows domain have the same thing? On top of that, it's actually quite simple to stop this server (however.. uninstall.. wrong!). You simply go into services and stop it. (Wow you're right that was damn near impossible). Hell there are even programs you can download (Shoot The Messenger from grc.com for example) that disable it for you.

As for your second point. There is no DivX Player 5.0. DivX player is at like 2.0. The DivX codec on the other hand has exceeded 5.0 and that is what is shipped with spyware. However if you simple want to play DivX encoded files, there is no spyware involved. It's only if you want the encoder that you have to install spyware (or pay for a clean version) and they openly tell you about this up front.

I really wish you people would think through what you are about to say. I'm sick of reading all this drivel.

Peace

HT