Thread: Google developing ad service for e-mail - sources

Google developing ad service for e-mail - sources

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040116/tech_google_1.html

AN FRANCISCO, Jan 16 (Reuters) - Google Inc (News - Websites) ., which dominates the market for Web search, is developing a service that could dramatically extend the reach of its lucrative keyword-based advertising by linking such ads to e-mail, people familiar with the matter said on Friday.

Privately held Google (News - Websites) , which is expected to go public later this year, faces rising competition in its core search business from e-mail providers including Yahoo Inc. (NasdaqNM:YHOO - News) and MSN, Microsoft Corp.'s (NasdaqNM:MSFT - News) Internet unit.

Adding an e-mail service would provide a potential boost to Google as its technology lead in the search market seems destined to narrow and it prepares to answer to growth-hungry shareholders, analysts said.

The Mountain View, California, company, which has recently made several e-mail related acquisitions, is working on a way to serve advertising to an e-mail at the moment it is opened, people close to the company said.

"I'm sure Google is getting more and more concerned about locking in users. It wouldn't surprise me if they did something very sophisticated with e-mail," said Danny Sullivan, editor of SearchEngineWatch.com, who tracks the industry.
    I thought this was interesting...Of course it is from Yahoo (Google competitor) so you have to wonder about the source.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Weird, I was just thinking of this the other day. How nice it is the google hasn't gone the way of Yahoo, etc. and kept a clean interface into pure searching, with a little advertising in the form of putting sponsors at the top of the search list.

/edit what's next, THE GIMP?

Google Instant Message Program. Hmm hey that could work! We could make it with the open message standard and actively allow others to connect to build a larger base. Then sell it and make millions.

Hmm, the GIMP is kinda catchy. It just might sell. I wonder how drastically Google will change when it goes public and has all the shareholders. Hope not too much. :/

perhaps you missed it, I posted about googlemail.com about 10 days ago in this thread with a few more links.. we'll have to wait and see just how good google can do it. I'm not really happy about google becoming more of a portal, yahoo went down that road and they tend to discust me more and more each day..

and uh.. why is this posted in spyware ? you think googlemail will fit into that category ?

Originally posted here by jenjen
    perhaps you missed it, I posted about googlemail.com about 10 days ago in this thread with a few more links.. we'll have to wait and see just how good google can do it. I'm not really happy about google becoming more of a portal, yahoo went down that road and they tend to discust me more and more each day..

and uh.. why is this posted in spyware ? you think googlemail will fit into that category ?
    I was thinking more of the Adware. (If they are going to send ads in the email) I did miss your thread though.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

sorry, i didn't understand are they going to make @google.com emails or what?
    thing