Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Now Microsoft offers 250000$ reward for mydoom.b virus

ooops, so he did, I must have missed that bit
    -HDD

BANNED
    Maybe Microsoft should release Anti-Virus software with Windows, and have it update with Windows Update, it might help decrese the number of virus' abit. Who knows?

http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-1015...l?tag=mainstry

Kanchi.... I know that the virus is using innocent peoples PC to launch a DDOS against the target sites.....

All must be aware that on sunday i.e 1st Feb 04.... there was a huge DOS attack against SCO website.....

It is further feared that on Tuesday a simlar attack would be launched against Microsoft from visibly innocent PC's......

I guess end user will have to bear the burn of high bandwidth which his / her PC would consume in the complete event......

But it brings down us to one point... Last one year we have seen how much of terror can this Distributed Virus attack cause......

The article here is worth a thought.....

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1472828,00.asp

So may be a next generation disaster could be by form of such well formed disributed attack may be with the time to explode set much low.......

It could virtually create chaos in the internet and change the lives of many a organization....

There seems very less defense available to us today.....

Patch as everyone says.... but how much of patching is sufficient.... and every admin knows how though it is patch a production server.... coz this patches behave erroneous at times....

THe purpose I started the thread was to ascertain the threat posed by this new generation viruses....

Currently available remedial measures........

What our experts feel on future remedial measures......

How can a normal homeuser save there PC from being a victim of such attacks.....

Request our members to throw more light on above subject.....
    ****** Any man who knows all the answers most likely misunderstood the questions *****

Just to add on what I was saying I just found this article....

It says it shall take two years to address the current flaws... and that year 2004 shall be the worst year in the history of antivirus..... Further it says that IPv6 implementation is a solution....

Now I personally felt that IPv6 is only for increasing the no of publicly available entities... WHich I fear will further increase the complexity of computing....

Smart switching technologies will need an era to update........ Again all this incidentally will result in end users having to pay more from his / her pocket.....

The article for reference......

Consumers will lose faith in the web
    By Robert Jaques [30-01-2004]
    Rising tide of fraud and abuse reaching critical levels, warns security expert

Consumers will be "driven from the internet" this year by the rising tide of spam and malicious code, an IT security expert has claimed.
    Without rapid deployment of improved technology such as IPv6 to defeat the threat of viruses, spam and hacking, 2004 will be the worst year ever for security incidents and privacy breaches, warned industry veteran Stephen Cobb.

Cobb, a long-time e-security consultant for the US government, author and university professor of information assurance, said: "There is a limit to how many worms, 'phishing' schemes and fraudulent messages consumers and companies will take."

He added that "two years to solve problems like spam is too long", referring to recent statements by Microsoft chairman Bill Gates that a "magic solution" would help solve the spam problem within two years.

According to Cobb, many people in government and industry still fail to understand how lawless and vulnerable the internet is for consumers.

"I am not the only one who has sounded the alarm in recent years, but there have not been enough of us and certainly not enough folks in industry and government comprehend the message," he said.

"Consumer confidence in email and the web is being shaken as never before."

Cobb suggested that the increasing frequency with which corporate email systems crash under the weight of unwanted messages and malicious code like the recent Mydoom worm is making consumers fearful of the internet.

The problem can only be alleviated, according to Cobb, if government and industry co-operate to deploy improved internet security technology on a wide scale.

"If we finally implement IPv6, require strong authentication of websites and email senders, and upgrade the intelligence of routers and switches so that malicious activity is detected and impeded as soon as it starts, maybe then we will stand a chance," he concluded.
    Link: http://www.vnunet.com/News/1152405
    ****** Any man who knows all the answers most likely misunderstood the questions *****

i don't get it All most all versions of MS have sec holes buty do people keep using them and then cry when a virus loose

tejaswyappalla, exactly *what* MS hole is this virus exploiting? would be glad if you could clear that up for me.

I find it amazing how everyone jumps to accuse the Manufacturer of the OS when they are hit hard by a virus - wouldnt it be more appropriate to go ape at the antivirus people? People buy AV gear *knowing* it will fail when a new virus comes out - but the fault, it seems, is with microsoft.

I guess we are going off-track.... We are veiwing a generic threat from Internet to all the Internet users irrespective of their OS....

With more of such distributed viruses to continue to play havoc and have the ability to go un-noticed we are concerned abt what technological changes would have to be undertaken to mitigate the risks arising from the new stealthier viruses.....

SOme say it is IPv6 some say Switching technology has to further undergo a revolution.. but all this will take some time.... But are this the only options? can we not have a more simpler solution.....

People, all we can do is to educate.

Educate your neibhours, your colleges, your familly... spread the word...

and remeber: ANY OS is safe and secure as Admin that administer it, and user that use it!

I use M$ for a long time, and my box is not infected. That is because I know what to do, what not to do. If I just decided to go on linux tommorow, I will get box full of holes because my knowledge of linux is null. Knowledge is the best tool, and best weapon... spread it...
    Ikalo
    ------
    Make your knowledge your deadliest weapon.

Originally posted here by ikalo
    Knowledge is the best tool, and best weapon... spread it...
    I beg to differ; Tactical thermonuclear weapons are the best weapon, and the best knowledge is of how to use them.