Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Software security

Software security

I requested a demo for 3dsMax from discreet, and it gives you unrestricted use of the software for 30 days, then you need a key to keep using it. I used the full 30 days a while ago, and just recently i reinstalled the OS because i wanted to start from scratch. I decided to try 3dsMax again, but it told me it detected a previous key on the computer! I dont understand this because i formatted the HD, theres only one drive by the way. How could it know that i had a previous install of it? I dont care how to get around it, I'm going to buy the software legit, I just would like to know how it knows. Thanks!

Maybe it stored something in the registry? Was the registry cleaned off when you reinstalled?

Did you have to register to download the evaluation copy?
    Maybe the program sent your IP address back to the company last time you installed it, so it knows if your cheating or not..

i formatted the HD
    evolution versions genarrly store a key in the regestry to track whether the software has been previously installed . fromatting the hard drive should have erased all the prints whether stored in the regestry or someware else. are you sure you formatted the whole hard drive. because i have done it many times after formatting the evolution softwares again work

Maybe the program sent your IP address back to the company last time you installed it, so it knows if your cheating or not..
    sending IP address?? i don't think it's a good idea and can can be employed for checking cheating . i usee a dialup connection and my IP address changees every time that means i can use it indefinately

I requested a demo for 3dsMax from discreet
    Never saw that --;

Did you use the same email address when you requested for the demo again?

I am pretty sure that the company is intent on keeping its security-system secret, possibly even a trade-secret as it protects their product. And from your post, I judge that it does a good job of it to. Obviously it doesn't need anything off of the HDD since you did format it, and you should realize that even 3DS Max wouldn't waste their time developing code to scan entire HDDs for hidden/erased data just to protect their product. Since they did contact you directly for the demo, it is possible that they customized one especially for you. They obviously know you. They're watching you. You cannot escape. <EVIL_LAUGH>

Anyways you'll have nothing to worry about after purchasing it from them. And if you decided that you didn't like the software, you can just delete it and forget about it. Your computer won't decide to mysterously quit working either way.

Personally, I go for OpenSource 3D Modeling programs. My favorite is called OpenFX, although everyone I know says that Blender 3D is good and that my favorite modeler/render sucks... I can't get a feel for Blender, so OpenFX isn't bad I guess. Anyways, there is quite a bit to choose from, and there is no harm in looking at other software to see if it meets your needs better or fits your budget easier.

Are you sure you formatted the hard drive properly? Because it has happened to me (especially with Win98) that it only re-installs the system files but doesn't actually properly wipe the whole drive. If you have WinXP I recomend you instert that disk (weather or not your planning on installing it) and then using XP's format utility to properly format the whole drive.
    -HDD

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    Couldn't be tracing it back to the IP, like you said. What about the MAC address of the modem? It doesn't change. Just a thought to make you paranoid.

Are you sure they are not going to come take em away?

Just kidding of course (maybe)! All they want is you to buy the software. You got to use it for free for the eval period and you did agree to their license, so if you want to use it on that computer, as it is setup, then you'll have to pay. But how do they know it's the same box?

Your computer provides a mirade of info to those who know how to collect it. And since they don't want you reformating your HD and then reinstalling their product without paying for it, they collect info about your computer and maybe you even had to provide a valid email addee!

That could be scary, but it's really simple and non-tech. You probably set your computer backup the exact way it was before you reformated and all the hardware is exactly the same. You visited their site using the same browser with the same modem and so forth. See where this is going? Your browser provides a ton of info about your system and so does the hardware as was previously mentioned. Obviously, through this they know your computer

You don't have to worry about the MIB coming to your door, just pay em if you want to use their product.

actually there's other places on yoru computer that they can store data, such as the boot sector, and it IS possible to put data in NVRAM on the mobo... not common but possible.. I would recommend low level formatting of the hdd.. possibly fdisking and completely redoing the partition layout on the machine will cover this up..

just a thought though

i reinstalled the OS because i wanted to start from scratch

i formatted the HD

Did you just use the clean install option for reinstalling your OS? Or actually delete everything and then reinstall? Just a wild guess, but i've run into a few people who got those mixed up.