Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing OpenSSL on Apache2 AND WINDOWS XP

Question Installing OpenSSL on Apache2 AND WINDOWS XP

My goal is to make my site secure with OpenSSL. I want to turn http://intrinic.com into https://intrinic.com basically. I have Apache 2 installed, and am running this machine with Windows XP. I dont want mod-ssl or anything else that doesnt work for Apache2 and Windows XP. I got no idea how to do this, and all the forums and sites i've been to dont pertain to my conditions; such as only working for Linux, using mod-ssl instead of open, or only on Apacche 1.x. If anyone has any information for me or can help me themselves, it would be so greatly appreciated.

Sorry, but running Apache on windows is like putting a v-10 in a VW bug. IMHO

I could help with setting Apache up on your favorite flavor of *nix, but windows.....I don't do windows for that.

Doesn't www.openssl.org have any documents you can use? I know it's obvious but....
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I'd be interesting to see what would happen if you put a v10 in a bug, lol. But anyways...

I hate Microsoft and Windows, but Linux is hard as hell for me to understand, as well as MS-DOS and telnet. I installed it once on one of my spare computers I made for fun. I was immediatly confused and overwhelmed, and didnt know were to begin. My Mozilla browser didnt work, probablly because I didnt install it on the OS installation, but once the OS was installed. Within a few days I reformatted and slapped on a copy of Windows XP Pro. As much as I hate it, I'm very familar with it. So I guess what im really looking for is tutorials/help/support and such on Linux/Unix (What the heck is *nix? A wildcard for Linux or Unix?). Hopefully I can get familar with Linux/Unix. Also; what version of Unix/Linux are there? I know nothing about it. The Linux I installed was Fedora Project, off the RedHat site. What Linux/Unix version do you recommend?

What I really am trying to achieve is to have https://intrinic.com using Apache2. Dont really care how to get there, of course I want to learn how, but I dont mind what I have to do.

Yes. *nix is any unix flavor you like. Nothing too cryptic about that.

As far as recommending a *nix flavor, my choice if FreeBSD. And nowadays it's not difficult to find a plethora of info, tuts, and HOWTO's for FreeBSD. IT's also more stable, faster and just far more capable an OS then Winblows could ever be.

Take it one step at a time when it comes to FreeBSD. RTFM is all important when dealing with a more robust OS. It's not all point and clickity clickity.(To use really technical terms....hehehe)

www.freebsd.org has all the docs you'll need for the install and configuration of the OS. Start by reading the basic tuts and move in from there. Take it slow and easy.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Thanks a whole bunch for your help. Once I get my HD replacement (It failed), I'll put FreeBSD on it.

Once I get my server up I'll have to tackle keeping my site safe and secure from script kiddies.

Hi, in case you still need it...

You can download the binary, Apache_2.0.49-Openssl_0.9.7d-Win32.zip, from here: http://hunter.campbus.com . Then read the how-to here: http://raibledesigns.com/tomcat/ssl-howto.html .

I used (for fun) another binary, slightly older version, Apache2.0.43-openssl0.9.6g-mod_auth_ldap-mod_jk1.2.0.zip (which I forgot where I got it from). It worked well on my W2K box (then I got another box running XP and never installed Apache on it).

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

Alright thanks.

speaking on linux, does anybody know where i can get a free copy??? i duble partitioned my harddrive and left one unformatted i plan to install linux on it if i can find a copy.

i also need to find some info about how to set up a dule boot menu....

Originally posted here by rwarren
    speaking on linux, does anybody know where i can get a free copy??? i duble partitioned my harddrive and left one unformatted i plan to install linux on it if i can find a copy.

i also need to find some info about how to set up a dule boot menu....
    Linux Copies

Its also the first search result in google when you type linux cd
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...F-8&q=linux+cd

philman213: Glad you took my advice and decided to get help here. Welcome.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Go into the OS forum look for a *nix sticky by gore. If you hate windows and haven't looked at *nix for a while, you are in for a surprise. Most popular source files also have installation packages ala Weendows.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.