Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sco.com refusing connections

We should keep an eye on Microsoft's servers, during blaster they supposedly used linux

Kinda old but here it is
    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...261127586.html

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    But the platform won't be the issue this time. It's going to be the site itself. Reality is that volume, at some point, can take over any pipe-width since bandwidth is finite.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

BANNED
    SCO says they are waiting till monday but surely the people at MS have been working on a solution since they found out they were gonna be underattack.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Well, I would have thought SCO would have had something in place as well. They knew about the potential about a week ago.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

When MS was hit previously (msblast I think), the used the servecies of content distribution networks (ie: akamai (sp?)) which has enough resources spread arround to handle the load. However, akamai(sp?) uses linux, which for microsoft, they were willing to "overlook", but SCO is more in a conflict of interest since I doubt akamai is interested in paying 699$/linux machine...

As for not flooding the whole internet, they could always redirect sco.com to 127.0.0.1, but it doesn't help the accessibilty of their site...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

what was i thinking
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

SCO.COM has removed their WWW A record from DNS to stop the onslaught. Take a look at this article, just posted, on Netcraft:
    http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20...m_the_dns.html

Even if they remove it. So? The site is still unaccessible. All that happens is the packets get sent out. BTW, how long was this attack supposed to be? Single day? If that's the case, they just need to ride it out. If it's longer, then there are serious issues. And IMHO this brings up even more for the Internet as a whole. Perhaps a whole new family of DDoS?

BANNED
    the virus has a trigger to stop on the 12th of february

This article says Riverhead could have been able to help SCO keep it's website up. Anyone had any experience with Riverhead?
    - Boyam