Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows Messenger on school:D

Originally posted here by muert0
    don't think he really has the pass anyway...
    don't???

i sat MANY HOURS with it...and i got it.....using SAMinside and LC4.....i copied SAM and SYSTEM, before windows started....and made a PW4dump file of it!!!!!!!!

I HAVE IT!!!!!!!1

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    no i dont think i can be expelled...because i got this machine from school thats mine.....this year...and its my machine...and i only copied two files....i cant be expelled...
    Machine that is yours? You mean, one you set up? or is this one they gave you? or is this one they provided for you to use in class?

Why do you think that? Has it occurred to you that perhaps they monitor it or that the password is local only?

You've just violated, most likely, the school's acceptable use policy on the use of their computers. You might not like that but that is reality.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Machine that is yours? You mean, one you set up? or is this one they gave you? or is this one they provided for you to use in class?

Why do you think that? Has it occurred to you that perhaps they monitor it or that the password is local only?

You've just violated, most likely, the school's acceptable use policy on the use of their computers. You might not like that but that is reality.
    yes...its mine...i am loaning it this year...password is local yes...

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    You are loaning it? Loaning it to who?

And given that it's only the local password, not much you can do then because the permission to access external ports will be on the firewall. Good advice was given earlier in this thread: talk to the IT department. See if they can explain why they will or won't allow the port to be open.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

BANNED
    if its a local password hows it help you open a port on the schools network?
    this post should die
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

I think that you have a machine with local administrator rights?

For internet type applications you need system administrator rights.......like locally you can load what you like, but it won't run on the network.

Have you asked the admins about MS Netmeeting?...........that is a professional business application that you should know about? You don't actually have to talk about business and you will be learning something useful?

Think how much you could save an organisation with a good implementation of collaboration software?

just a thought?

cheers

this is exactly what happened to me in year 11 information processing and technology class(IPT). I spent a lot of time trying to configure msn, then i got fed up with it and used telnet to connect to a shell account and use irc.
    But still it wasnt msn, so one day a friend and i were in the classroom at lunch and the teacher walked out of the room, he left the admin computer logged on so we added ourself to all groups (windows NT). Which gave us more than what we wanted.
    4-5 months later my IPT teacher hauls me out of maths and makes me sit in a small room i hadnt even known of existed in the school. The teacher and the principle sat down and basicially told my that with the evidence they have i could be in a lot of trouble.
    But seeing as i did no malicious damage i got off the hook, just.
    When i say off the hook i mean from a charge, i got suspended for a week and was not allowed in a room with computers agin for the rest of the year (8 months).

what your doing will get you expelled, its just looky i was a good student.

CEM: you say you wont get expelled? says who? catch someone off on a bad day, and you'll see how fast you'll get expelled. Follow the advice we gave you. Mittens, please kill this thread . I mean close.

cheers,

Heh, one of my friends knows the top admin password for my district, he's always like "Dude, get on it and check it out". Then I remind him that they'll probably notice that I use that computer everyday in class and that the room is basically the most watched in the entire school (on the network). There is no real point to having administrative rights in your school, cause it'll only lead to trouble.

Hi St1cky,

You have a good point there!.however......

Sometimes you may need local admin rights, just to learn............these should be allowed on machines that do not impact on the general network?

Remember that there is "no justice"............you do it, you are expelled.............you do it and it is their fault?.....no it isn't...it is yours.............you are expelled!

Take care