Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phlak

Phlak

Has anyone tried out PHLAK?

For those of you who haven`t its a distro similar to Knoppix-std in that its boots (and runs) off a CD and comes loaded with a bunh of security tools. In initial tests it seems ok, although it seems to have a few issues with wireless and is not detecting an Orinoco Gold card (unlike Knoppix STD which does this just fine). Still, it may be a useful tool for anyone out there doing testing, it also comes with a large amount of security documentation.

Check it out at www.phlak.org
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

I haven't tried Phlak, but I recently found LAS , which sounds similar. I have only been trying it out for a few days, but I like what I see so far. It is also a live distro and has over 200 tools built in. The link to the site is http://www.localareasecurity.com/ .
    \"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.\" - Arthur C. Clarke

haven't tried it yet, however I like the concept of a live version so I'm downloading it right now. Sounds good so far and it has quite the tool bag with it. I'll let you know when I get it up and running. Thanks for the link.

Banned
    Phlak is old new on here I've tried it out myself, and i like to play with it when i have nothin better to do.

I too have played around with phlak, its a fun lil distro to mess around with. if you get a chance boot up off it and play around, I got a kick out of its boot =sneaky boots into a windows xp look alike with all the utilities so you can fool around semi secretively. all and all its a neat small lil distro and a great utility for ppl who wanna use a nix enviroment to test hardware functionality in the tech world... saves you time from loading an os when you can just boot off it
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Coincidently, I just downloaded phlak last night and saw this post today :P haven't really tried it out at all because I burned it before work and just tested if it works and then shut down so couldn't really do anything and now im too lazy to boot it up :P but i have one question about it, since it boots off the CD how does it store files you save on it? on windows (or whatever other OS is installed).
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Info Tech Geek,
    The link I posted was to a different distro besides phlak. Localareasecurity is completely separate from phlak. I have worked with LAS, but not with phlak and was just throwing in my $0.02.
    \"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.\" - Arthur C. Clarke

I agree with MemorY. Phlak is a fun OS to play with. I don't use it on my computer, but I've played with it before in a class I share with MemorY.

Antionline Herpetologist
    Since it boots off the CD how does it store files you save on it? on windows (or whatever other OS is installed).
    It does this by making something called a RAMDisk. Basically, a RAMDisk is just a portion of your RAM being treated as a hard disk.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Laptop issues

Hey I have been trying to phlax to work on my dell 5150, but I cant get the screen to show up right. Has anyone gotten it to work on a laptop? Everything else seems to work great, except gui.

Thanks
    Ruffasdagut