Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accounts and AV

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    <rant>
    This idea is complete crap. Here's why.

Say that he has NAV installed for one user and stinky Pete's AV and weather checker installed for another user. You can't run both AV scanners at one time so how the hell does this help you? You'll have to login and scan the drive under each user that has a different AV scanner.

Not that this even crossed his mind but some AV products don't play nice together, mainly because normal individuals don't go to the store (or Kazaa) and grab several AV scanners and install them all. Have you ever seen what happens when you install two AV scanners that add LSPs to the stack? I have and let's just say that you'll have the safest computer on the planet because you wont be getting out to the internet anytime soon.

</rant>
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

B4 I used one AV for realtime protection and one for secoundary scan efter downloading of some file, and it works.

I tried~tested to install two AV on my PC for realtime protection and my Pc crashed. Then I tried do it for different account and it did'nt work.

// How to ....? To get what U want? //

hehe

I think that i must know how AV works that I should be able to errase unneded or replace items to other startup places.
    // too far away outside of limit

OK MrBabis, I understand you now.

Thehorse13 is quite right about some AVs "not playing nice together". The general rule is that whilst you can have as many AVs as you like to run "on demand" you really should only have one running interactively/real time scanning.

McAfee for example will detect another AV and tell you to remove it first. Other AVs will see the pattern files of their rivals and mistake them for viruses, or they will spot what is in the quarantine folder of another AV and try to fix it. They might even interfere with eachother such that viruses get through?

LSPs..............If the layered service provider stack in Winsock2 gets corrupted, you won't need an AV.............as he says you won't get on the internet!.........at least not so that you could actually do anything.

If you have two AVs running for different users, then only one is protecting you at any one time, and they only do a very quick memory and boot sector scan when you boot up. So you are not getting much additional protection.

You would be better off selecting an AV that updates daily, or paying the money for one with hourly updates, and setting the automatic update feature. Then get a trojan detector/blocker and a firewall (Agnitum is a reasonable free one). I would also get a script blocker if the AV doesn't contain one.

Please be aware that AVs are poor at detecting spyware and trojans. The latest review I have read put F-Secure and Kaspersky at the top, with AVG and Norton equal in the "average" position. You must be sure to have heuristic scanning turned "on"

Good luck

Thx all for help, little me will continue with my testing, hehe

Just one last Q. Do some one know some "non install AV" like
    http://www.sald.com/ >>>>> http://www.sald.com/get.html ???

I know just (online scan) sites and some scanners like
    http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1060.html
    http://www.mwti.net/antivirus/free_utilities.asp

No need install, simle AV can be good to uses in critical situation.
    It helps me when I repairing others (my friends PCs) computers

THX ALL for help one more time

Well these are demos of the products to let you test them out before you buy them.
    So you would have to install them.

No need install, simle AV can be good to uses in critical situation.
    It helps me when I repairing others (my friends PCs) computers
    Why dont you just recommend to your friends to purchase a good reliable anti-virus program ? Or even better download one of the many free ones that are available out there.

Feel free to correct me if am wrong.
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Agent_Steal, I agree with you mate! No excuse for not having an AV and firewall AND keeping them up to date, then just boot into safe mode.........?

Mr. Babis, I know what you are talking about, but I am not sure that they are available any more? McAfee and Norton used to do that sort of thing but now there are so many viruses around, I don't think that they do?......you would need too many floppy disks

You might be able to get something simple that will boot the machine and check memory/mbr but the windows malware has to be fought from within windows.

With Win2k and XP try booting safe mode with network support and going onto the net for an online scan.

I think that the days of the "silver bullet" have gone?

cheers

Nihil
    I know that Norton installation comes on bootable CD with dos versions of ther programs... but definitions are far from up-to-date... version 2004 has definitons from August 2003... when program was published.
    You can always make repair disk set, but that will take aprox 5 floppies. And what anoys me that it doesn't load files from flopies in a row, but you have to change them so many times... grrrr....
    Ikalo
    ------
    Make your knowledge your deadliest weapon.

I am almost done with it
    I need just some tweak or prog that can run apps on log off and efter that i will be able to run two AV for different users on one PC.

// I am using DrWeb and PC-Cillin 2002 for testing //
    // DrWeb was("is") my favorite untill i found one vir that it couldnot detect -> i posted it to them so thay did update. And now I am looking for somthing else.... some of AV did'nt completed my tests or couldnot find vir, so I want more [little bit hungy].

*Norton = *McAfee (i found one vir in kazaa that for this AV took ~3 weeks to update, heh & uninst problem)
    -AntiVir (could not find any vir that i got)
    ^AVG ~ *AVAST ( pretty good, but i dont realy like them )
    *Kaspersky ~ #DrWeb (crashes [of other progs on install] and complex to use)
    Sophos (cannot say anything. i didnt test it)

It is what I think //

I could find right processes and services (-> i disabled them) so I can run them separat, heh thats works.

I will use cmd line utilite for shutdown.
    ------------------------------------------------