Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virus automatically sending mail from Outlook

Unhappy Virus automatically sending mail from Outlook

Hi Ppl
    I dunno wehther this is a new virus or not, but it seems that some virus or worm is sending mails to ppl in my Outlook Contacts automatically.
    Plz tell how can I tell which virus it is , and how to get rid of it. And how on earth did it land into my system ?
    \"I\'d hate to have a kid like me\"

First off if you have an anti-virus program you should up-date it. Then once you have done that do a full system scan.

If you do not have an anti-virus program then give this on-line scan a try : HouseCall

If you do not own an anti-virus program then well give this one a try :
    AVG Free Edition

Well as for how the virus might have got there. Give this a read :
    How viruses spread

It might now answer how exactly it got on your computer but it will just give you an insight as to how viruses spread.

Hope that helps ....
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

I have an anit -virus programme up and running "InoculateIT", it didnt detect anything.
    Besides my comp is behind a corporate firewall, I think even that should help keep away viruses.
    But at present I would like to know, how can a virus be traced on my comp. .. .which process it is running, which file is it located in ?

Originally posted here by Desolation_Jam

Besides my comp is behind a corporate firewall, I think even that should help keep away viruses.
    A firewall will not stop a virus from infecting your computer, as it usually comes in an attachment that you have opened. Some virus are capable of disabling your present antivirus protection and even your firewall.
    I would suggest that you follow Agent_Steal's advice and make use of a third party virus engine to check your computer. Or in the very least, down load the current updates to your antivirus and then boot into the safe mode and run the antivirus. (it would be better if you could download a new and updated virus engine on a noninfected machine, and load that in safe mode also.
    Once you have the virus identified, it is alot easier to deal with. And if it a case where your machine is not infected and your e-mail is being spoofed, then you will have varifieable results to prove it.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Hi moxnix
    I think there is no virus in my comp, as advised I have downloaded all new update and scanned my comp for viruses . . . . no malacios files were found, as you said how can I get to know whether my mail is being spoofed or not ?

Hi Ppl
    I dunno wehther this is a new virus or not, but it seems that some virus or worm is sending mails to ppl in my Outlook Contacts automatically.
    Plz tell how can I tell which virus it is , and how to get rid of it. And how on earth did it land into my system ?
    Desolation_Jam you got me a little confused here ?? Cause from reading you wanted to know which virus it is ??

I have an anit -virus programme up and running "InoculateIT", it didnt detect anything.
    But at present I would like to know, how can a virus be traced on my comp. .. .which process it is running, which file is it located in ?
    But then you scanned your computer so theirs no virus ? Then you ask how you can trace it by asking:

which process it is running, which file is it located in ?
    Ok so exactly what is it that you need to know ? Cause you got me a little lost.

Is this the question that you want an answer to ??

Question
    Why is Outlook sending mail to people who you know ?
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

First you must determine if the people receiving these e-mails are in fact contacts from your address book. If they are not, then it is a good sign that yes, you address is being spoofed.
    If they are contacts that you have in your address book then you have more of a problem. Either someone has copied your address book, or they have the means to gain entry into it.
    The main ways they could have gained this entry is
    1) physical access to your computer
    2) some form of virus or trojan on your computer
    3) a keylogger (either physical or virtual) on your computer to steal your passwords
    4) poor passwords and/or poor password security (as in a sticky note on monitor)
    If in fact they are contacts from your address book, I would first export(copy) the address book into a different file and then delete the current one in your outlook express. Then for a few days, when sending e-mail, do a copy and paste from the new file. This should stop most means from using your addresses to send out anymore e-mails from your machine.
    I would also set your options to make copies of any mail sent from your account.
    Once you have determined exactly where the false e-mails are or are not coming from, then get back with us and we can help you farther.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

HI ppl
    its not just agent_steal who is confused, its me too. I dunno what is the reason for mails being sent from MS Outlook, and am mighty confused.

moxnix , the mails are being sent to contacts in my address book :-(
    I would do as you suggest and check the activity.
    Besides it would be of great help to me if anybody could tell me how to identify whether there is a trojan on my comp.

Here is what you need to do:
    1) as Agent_Steal suggested, run a third party online virus check. The one he suggested TrendMicro Housecall is a very good one: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp
    2) Get the Cleaner by Moosoft ( it has an evaluation period so it will doit for free) and use it : http://www.moosoft.com/
    3) Use both of them and clean your system
    4) When you have a clean system, uninstall your present antivirus and then reinstall it or another one and update it to the current definitions.
    5) Change your password on all your accounts (and make them good ones)
    6) Let us know your results (we are the curious type).
    Author Unknown

Desolation_Jam

[QUOTE]Besides my comp is behind a corporate firewall[QUOTE]

Does this mean that you are in a buisness enviroment and if so what do you know about the computer infrastrusture in you buissness. It may not be a virus but someone playing with your mail account. If you are at home then follow the advice given above.

edit moxnix got straight to the point before me.