Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EZ-Disk?

EZ-Disk?

I run partition magic 7 or 8 on my OS (windows xp) and it sais this...

Error #90
    EZ-Drive has been detected on drive 1, but EZ Drive is corrupt. Run the EZ-Drive setup disket to correct this problem. For EZ-Drive support contact your EZ-Drive provider.

ok...wtf is this...?
    and btw: on WinME it goes fine without errors but on WinXP i cant run Partition Magic at all
    any help? ...thanks in advance

If you have a large hard disk and an old computer that doesn't support them then
    you probably got a utility called EZ-Drive or Disk Doctor with you hard disk.
    You need it to use your entire hard disk with Dos and Windows but not Linux.
    However, if you dual-boot DOS/Windows and Linux, you still need it. The bad
    part about them is that they don't support Linux. To get around this, simply
    install LILO to your root partition's boot record instead of your master boot
    record and set your boot flag to your root partition.

To install LILO to the root partition's boot record during install simply select
    the root partition as where to put LILO when your Linux installer asks you (Most
    distributions do but some automatically put LILO on the master boot record. in
    that case ask someone else what to do because I'm stumped on that one.).

[ note of maintainer : you add to use boot=/dev/hda1 for example if /dev/hda1 is
    your root partition instead of boot=/dev/hda (in that case lilo will install itself
    in the mbr - master boot record - of disk /dev/hda ]

NOTE: YOU MUST INSTALL EZ-DRIVE OR DISK DOCTOR FIRST!!! DOS/WINDOWS MUST GO
    ON SECOND.
    found here http://www.patoche.org/LTT/windows/00000117.html

found by... http://www.google.com.au/search?sour...8&q=EZ%2DDrive

well in simple terms.. it is a Boot overlay.. like EZBIOS etc..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

If you have a large hard disk and an old computer that doesn't support them then
    you probably got a utility called EZ-Drive or Disk Doctor with you hard disk.
    You need it to use your entire hard disk with Dos and Windows but not Linux.
    my disk1 is my 40GB disk and never had that problem before but now i do since i have another 80gb disk (disk2)...so what should i do now download that ?

NOTE: YOU MUST INSTALL EZ-DRIVE OR DISK DOCTOR FIRST!!! DOS/WINDOWS MUST GO
    ON SECOND.
    How exactly do i install something with no OS on it at all...

EZdrive will boot into caldera dos or something like that, and you can install through that because you have effectively loaded an OS.

Does your BIOS support 40 and 80 Gig drives?, if so, I do not see what you are running EZdrive for anyway?

Are you dual booting XP and Me?

Are you sure that your version of partition magic supports XP?

It sounds as if you had XP and Me running OK on the 40Gb drive, but have hit problems when you installed the 80Gb drive as "D"? Is this correct?

Have you tried to update your BIOS?

Have you tried to move one of the operating systems?

Cheers

I know for fact that PM 7 and 8 work on winXP... I'm using it almost every day...

Can you tell us your exact configuration earlier and now when you added 80GB disk (master/slave, primary/secundary) and location of both OSes...
    Ikalo
    ------
    Make your knowledge your deadliest weapon.

right now like this:
    Disk1: master boot
    Partition1: 10GB (WindowsXP, fat32)
    Partition2: 25GB (Data, fat32)
    Partition3: 5GB (System Sav, fat32)

Disk2: slave

Before:
    Disk1:
    Partition1: 35GB (WindowsXP)
    Partition2: 5GB (System Sav)

Nihil...i dont know if my BIOS supports 80gb hard disks....i tried updating it once but unsecussful because i dont know which one it is....back then it displayed 35GB instead of 80GB and im using a boot disket to recognize my WD800JB disk to 80GB but it formats the whole disk...i am not dual booting the XP and Me....and i dont know if partition magic 8.0 supports my XP...if not is there something else i could use?
    Partition1: 80GB (Data, ntfs)

EZ drive is often shipped with new hard drives. It comes on a bootable floppy disk.
    If your BIOS does not support drives that big, you boot from the floppy
    and it installs a special program on the first track of the HD, and relocates the
    MBR to the second track. Your OS and most other software cannot see
    the EZ drive track, and happily uses the disk.

What you need to do depends on whether the disk is functioning satisfactorily.
    It sounds like you are trying to resize your partitions. Is this drive still functioning as a
    boot drive? EZ drive may be incompatible with partition magic, if partition magic
    is looking in the wrong sector for the Master Boot Record.
    If the drive is working OK otherwise, I wouldn't monkey with it

If you want to experiment, you could wipe out EZ drive, and the MBR,
    and try partitioning the drive afresh. Your BIOS should support a 40 gig
    drive unless it's really old (486 or Pentium I)

Code:
    A program called DEBUG.EXE is supplied with DOS, Windows 9x and NT and 
    can be used to run small Assembly language programs and just such a program
    can be used to wipe the MBR. Perform the following, but BE CAREFUL, this WILL
    wipe your MBR leaving your system unbootable and its data lost. 

Boot to 9x or DOS (this cannot be done from NT since direct disk access is not allowed) 

Start a command prompt
    Enter the following commands (in bold):
    C:\> debug
    -F 9000:0 L 200 0
    -a
    0C5A:0100 Mov dx,9000
    0C5A:0103 Mov es,dx
    0C5A:0105 Xor bx,bx
    0C5A:0107 Mov cx,0001
    0C5A:0109 Mov dx,0080
    0C5A:010A Mov ax,0301
    0C5A:010D Int 13
    0C5A:0110 Int 20

-u 100 L 12 
    -g 

Program terminated normally
    -quit
    http://www.acree.ugate.net/Downloads...Clean-MBR.html
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

all i want to do is merge the 2 partitions in disk 1 and then split them again so i have more space on XP...now i dont see why i am getting this error....maybe its just the partition magic...is there some other partitioning software i can use to partition my disks without loosing data?

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in responding, seems to be a bit of a problem getting into AO through the front door today?

I do not quite understand where Me fits into the equation? (looking at your system specs)

If you just want to run XP, then why not remove the 40Gb drive and set up the 80 as your primary drive with XP.

Then add the 40 as a slave..............transfer whatever you want from it..............reformat your 40 drive, and away you go? You should be able to set up whatever partitions you want this way?

If you want to run Me, then you have to load this as your primary OS, then load XP? You will boot into XP but you will get the dual boot option.

You have to remember that Me will only use FAT32 whilst XP can use either FAT32 or NTFS, but needs (AFAIK?) to be set to FAT32 if you want to use both systems on both drives.

You also have to realise that if you have OEM, rather than boxed versions of you OSes, they are "protected" ( ) against being loaded as anything other than the only OS on your machine.

Hope this helps

I am not asking to dual boot right now....all i want is to merge 2 partitions and then split them again without loosing data and partition magic wont run...so is there something else?
    and i cant switch the two disks because my 80GB disk shows up as 35 first time when i start windowsXP and so on....only way i found to fix it was with a boot disket i downloaded from the internet which corrects this but deletes all the files on it...so you see why i cant set the 80GB disk as primary?