Thread: Behind Corporate Firewall

Behind Corporate Firewall

Hi guys.
    I am behind a corporate firewall and I want to download stuff with kazaa.
    I have no idea what kind of firewall it is and probably you need more information than that. But where could I start unvailing this mistery. All I know is that you have to Log on the network. For macs they use Proxys (but I have a PC with win 200 and another win XP).
    I tryed the proxy setting in kaza but the default did not work.
    Any Ideas.
    Thanks

Well, you are not going to like hearing this but the best way is to talk to your system administrator. They are running a firewall for a reason, and part of that reason may be to prohibit employee actions such as this. Talk to your sys admin, tell him what you'd like to do - if it's against corporate policy, then you shouldn't be doing it, and you'll find no help here - if the sys admin doesn't have a problem with it, he'll be able to set your PC up correctly.
    - Maverick

Ask yourself one question. Is it worth loosing your Job/Schooling to download things off of Kazza? If you figure out how to bypass the firewall you will be cought at am sure you will loose your job or be kicked out of school.

I know its not what you want to hear but its the truth. They block that due to DDoS / DOS possiblities as well as other bandwith issues and most importantly those pesky viruses.
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!

Being a Firewall administrator, I personally could not see the Business/Educaton justification in allowing port 1214 (kazaa) out of the Internal network, and wouldnt do it.

The whole reason businesses spend tens of thousands on Corporate Firewalls is to restrict access to only justifiable connections, and sometimes even if they can be justified, we dont let them through the Firewall due to the risks associated with what they want. I would rate opening up port 1214 both unjustifyable and could pose a potential threat to the network.

Basically what I am saying is, use your schools/businesses network for education/business related work. Anything else, do from home.
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

Originally posted here by SoggyBottom
    Being a Firewall administrator, I personally could not see the Business/Educaton justification in allowing port 1214 (kazaa) out of the Internal network, and wouldnt do it.

The whole reason businesses spend tens of thousands on Corporate Firewalls is to restrict access to only justifiable connections, and sometimes even if they can be justified, we dont let them through the Firewall due to the risks associated with what they want. I would rate opening up port 1214 both unjustifyable and could pose a potential threat to the network.

Basically what I am saying is, use your schools/businesses network for education/business related work. Anything else, do from home.

Yea, part of my job is firewall administration as well. I don't allow any peer-to-peer programs, chatting, etc. I only allow through what is required for our work - I can't see any justification in allowing the users to expose our network to potential hazards just to download some .MP3's...
    - Maverick

Imagine what would happen if the 'mp3' downloading became mpg pulling and your supervisor walked in to find you watching a video of his teenage daughter. I think it would suck to be any where near you if that happened.
    Do no harm and love her if she\'ll let you.