Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accounts and AV

Accounts and AV

Is it possible to run different AV for differnt account on same PC for realtime protection, and how can I do that?

// THX

windows??
    yes, it's possible.
    but do not try this with av running as service.

easiest way :
    if the setup tells ya that you need admin rights to install
    it would be installed as service, so you can't use it.
    Industry Kills Music.

What are you hoping to achieve here?

If you have an AV you are happy with, would you not want all users to have it?

I am confused

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    That's a good question , nihil.....I can't think of a good reason. I don't get it either.
    Windows 9x: n. A collection of 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor. Written by a 2 bit company that can\'t stand 1 bit of competition.

Wouldn't you and the other account be sharring the same harddrive? If so, just use active scanning for your AV and it should be good to go....Or at least I think thats what you're asking.
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy

I think that it can be good to use becouse all AV companies do updates differnt quick and good.
    If one PC uses some different AV for differnt uses it can add protection if uses uses own account and if it is "lof of" uses that have own acconts can use on PC. Evry "new" AV wll scan~protect PC each time new user logged in.
    // too far away outside of limit

Well instead of having to install another AV program.

Why dont you just use one of the many free on-line virus scanners ?

[1] Trend Micro - HouseCall
    [2] BitDefender Scan Online
    [3] Panda ActiveScan

There's more but these are just a few ....

There is also a slight problem with doing that. Lets just say that for example you have Windows XP so you set up another account for another family member . So you install another anti-virus program just incase your anti-virus program misses a virus. Well you keep your anti-virus program up-to-date. So with you all is well so far. But how will you know if the other anti-virus program that is installed is being kept up-to-date by the other user ?

Well you really wont unless if you remind them or if you do it yourself. But of couse the program could also remind the user. But the user might get annoyed by the message telling them to up-date their virus definitions and they just might ignore it.

So basically that second anti-virus program that you just installed just became useless.

That's just my opinion though.
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Yes, may be you are right. But i think to do full automatical update system that will (almost) not show any messages about update and + make one "more" automatical update on my account and keep both of AV on separat HD +one "install free AV" on flash USB that will be updated to from scheduler. // I did one one part of that on one of my PCs and that works // Secound step is to install two different AV // I havent "any good" FW and i think that i dont need it for home PCs if other programs can protect it. I need just some "FW" that can just block portscanners and ping and that will allow all programs to access internet and block some that will access to my PC. // Thats all I think.

Yeee , nihil good AV and FW does'nt exist, becous i getting sometimes viruses that one AV can and other AV cannot find. !!!-> We are using '.'minimum'.' protection on our PCs <-!!! // When we are online.// I just trying to teach me how it warks and if is possible and how i do that //

Thx

Huh, this sounds rather complicated...

And complicate things are just waiting for you to forget something, so everything goes blown away...

It would be more efective to teach all people that use your computer how to avoid being infected...

the best answer for everything is always the simplest one!
    Ikalo
    ------
    Make your knowledge your deadliest weapon.