Thread: Printing Issue (Could Be Permissions)

Printing Issue (Could Be Permissions)

I am having this issue where only the Administrators and the Power Users can print, but the Users cannot. What folders should I check the permissions in to see if this could be the problem.

It is a Win2K machine and connected via USB.

The Problem: User prints, item shows up in que and then dissapears from que without actually printing.

I know that you can set permissions on your network printers.

You do this the same way as you would with files. right click on printer, properties, security, etc.

Not sure about local printers... its been a while since I've used any printer that wasn't on the network.

Sure enough, I just checked. You can do this with local printers too. Just add the groups to the permissions. Make sure you give a couple people authority to control it... or else, when a print job gets stuck... they're going to call the admin to delete it from queue. A real pain in the a$$....

I just removed myself from a printer permission too... my job doesn't go to the queue... it just comes up with an access denied....
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Would the perms for the print spooler be at issue? I spoke with some Win colleagues and they had a few suggestions:

- pause the printer itself and see where the spooled job is
    - could be local perms of the printer spool for the computer
    - check event viewer application log/system log for errors

If I/they think of anything, I'll let ya know.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Phish,

Thank you, that was the first thing I tried.

MsMittens,

There was an issue reported in the error log, I will write it down next time I get over there.

Take a look at this issue that cheyenne was having:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hlight=printer