auto AV scan

Thread: auto AV scan

auto AV scan

is there a way (under windows 2000 / XP) to get the AV to automatically check floppys, cd's etc as soon as they are put into a drive and before they can be used( and if possible before autorun kicks in) or would this be an AV specific thing?

Give CA's eTrust a try, I think it may cover your needs. (Remember, most of the suggestions will be personal preference). This is not my personal preference, but I do suggest it on all computers that have multiple high risk users that may get infected easily. It keeps a good 90% Safe and Clean. That is a good percentage in my opinion.

Super Moderator: GMT Zone nihil's Avatar
    I would say that this is an AV specific thing, I do not know of anything in the OS to do this.

Check the options in the AV product, and select an AV that does what you want.

Cheers
    If you cannot do someone any good: don't do them any harm....
    As long as you did this to one of these, the least of my little ones............you did it unto Me.
    What profiteth a man if he gains the entire World at the expense of his immortal soul?

( and if possible before autorun kicks in)
    Not that this answers your question, but disabling autorun would be an option. From everything I have read here and other places, conventional wisdom (if you can call it that) is to disable that feature.

Here is a very old article that explains why: http://www.ctla.org/newsletter/1999/0699nl.pdf

My apologies, I know it's a little off topic, but it is related. )

Banned
    hey groovicus...where do you disable autorun? and well i use norton and i know it doesnt open nor let me see any files infected with a virus....so would it not automatically stop the virus from the cd and floppy too?

Super Moderator: GMT Zone nihil's Avatar
    scriptkiddie18

If your av is set up correctly it should scan everything like e-mail, net downloads and movable media. Remember that scanning and detection are two different things!

Cheers
    If you cannot do someone any good: don't do them any harm....
    As long as you did this to one of these, the least of my little ones............you did it unto Me.
    What profiteth a man if he gains the entire World at the expense of his immortal soul?

Banned
    Well i think norton is set up to detect automatically...in the tray you can enable and disable it, but im just unsure if it checks CDs also...?