Shutting down your computer in UNIX.

Thread: Shutting down your computer in UNIX.

Shutting down your computer in UNIX.

Today I finally made the move to UNIX, I succesfully installed FreeBSD and I have gotten used to working around the system. Only one thing though, I can't figure out how to shut down my computer appropriately. I had used live Linux distros before, and messed around, but I never really had to shut down the computer "appropiately" before, because nothing would get messed up anyways. So basically I just want to find out how to shut down the right way, so I wont get any error messages when I use the computer next time. Any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Super Moderator
    Know-it-All Master Beaver

Hey Hey,

On linux you'd do something like shutdown -t now and on unix do shutdown -h now. Just check out the shutdown command (man shutdown)... it's a great command.. let's you reboot as well.

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

AO BOFH: Luser Abuser BModeratorFH gore's Avatar
    I'm with HT on this one, look up man shutdown and read up.

Also, if you are in a hurry and just want to shut the machine down, you can just type:

newbie@FreeBSD:~> halt

The halt command does exactly as it implies, it halts the system immediatly.

Shutdown, Halt, you have a few options.

Remember though, UPDATE YOUR SYSTEM.

Get a firewall and install any updates, and also, I recommend joining a Free BSD mailing list or two. Then you won't HAVE to shut down

Welcome to UNIX.

http://www.bsd.org
    Kill the lights, let the candles burn behind the pumpkins’ mischievous grins, and let the skeletons dance. For one thing is certain, The Misfits have returned and once again everyday is Halloween.The Misfits FreeBSD
    Cannibal Holocaust
    SuSE Linux
    Slackware Linux